The Hardware Grants Process (from request to resolution)
- Grant request comes in to RT (or ToDo) - Here's a convenient list of current unclaimed Hardware Grants, oldest first.
- Grant look too complicated? Leave it in the queue for another intern or the Hardware Grants Coordinator. Otherwise, click "Take" under the ticket title and it's yours.
- Determine if grantees are eligible using the How to approve/deny grants page.
- Use the "Comment link" to input non-profit status into RT after checking Business registrars, Melissa Data or the IRS website, if appropriate.
- Determine if requester is an approved contact by checking email address, publicly-available information or personal contact with organization.
- Determine if we are able to grant out the requested items by using the Hardware Grants What We Can Give Out List.
- If request is simple and fulfillable, update Custom Fields inputs including GrantStatus, FG-PDX_Elegibility and GizmosToBeGranted.
- If you require further information (on the items requested, status of the organization or grant contact), choose "NeedsClarification" in Custom Fields>GrantsStatus.
- Only input items in the GizmosToBeGranted field if the grant is approved.
- Click "Reply" in the original application and use Hardware Grants Responses to generate an appropriate response.
- If conversation occurs via email (outside of RT), input any valid details in RT.
- If items are not readily available please request them using established methods for Requesting Items for Hardware Grants
- Your RT ticket should be updated when waitlisted items are available.
- If you are looking for a special item, please ensure you include the following in your request: what you need, when you need it by and that it should be placed on the Hardware Grants shelves in the Monkeyhouse with a tag identifying date, ticket # (provided by you) and Hardware Grants Shepherd name.
- Receiving (i.e. boombox, shredder, etc.) - Send email to receiving (at) lists (dot) freegeek (dot) org. Someone in Receiving will write the request on their white board for you.
- Hardware Testing (formerly Advanced Testing - includes special monitors, wireless routers, etc. Note that these items are often sold and not granted) - Send email to at-instructors (at) lists (dot) freegeek (dot) org. Also go to Hardware Testing and write this information on the white board.
- Tom (digital cameras, video cameras, small gadgets) - Check-in with Hardware Grants Coordinator and ask Tom directly (he currently works in the Monkey House).
After clarification and approval
- Confirm pickup appointment during scheduled shift or in cooperation with another HG team member.
- When they come in to pickup the item, follow the How To Disburse A Grant guide.
- You must:
- Get the name of the person picking up materials;
- Take all paper PRINTMEs on systems;
- Check the covered/uncovered status of monitors.
- Consider asking them to take a picture with their granted hardware in front of Free Geek or the painting in front of the Monkey House.
- After disbursement, ensure you:
- Update the Custom Fields inputs in RT;
- Indicate what you disbursed and to whom in RT;
- Input disbursement information in the database.
- If the contact doesn't currently exist in the system, create a new contact. Check the "organization" box and ensure you put in the correct address.
- If you disburse monitors, ensure you input the correct "covered" status.
- Click "Resolve" if you have successfully fulfilled the grant request.
- High-five anyone in the Monkey House for a job well done (or pat yourself on the back) and continue on to the next HG request.
Pages related to hardware grants
- **Unclaimed grant requests**
- Hardware Grants page on website, including application
- How to approve/deny grants
- How To Disburse A Grant
- Hardware Grants Responses
- Cut-and-paste responses for requesters
- What We Can Grant Master List
- Comprehensive list of what we can (and can't) grant out
- Requesting Items for Hardware Grants
- Build Specs
- Business registrars (OR or WA)
- For verifying non-profit status
- Federal Exempt Organizations Select Check
- To check status at a federal level
- Melissa Data
- Another non-profit lookup
- Using your Free Geek computer!
- Given to requesters who get systems
- Hardware Grants Summary
- Hardware Grants Volunteer Intern
- Job description
- Training Guide for HG Internship
- Checklist for beginning volunteers/interns
- Using RT for Hardware Grants
Due to IRS considerations we are not able to provide an approximate or exact value for any of our disbursed hardware. Those who require this information should consult an accountant, tax software or look for equivalents for comparison prices.