Toxins in Computers
This page has been migrated to a document on Free Geek's Google Drive.
Information remaining behind may no longer be relevant.
When you have tagged this page as migrated,
(Link to new page immediately below.)
I wanted to have this list of the unhealthy stuff contained in computers be public. Perhaps eventually, the list could go onto a "Why Recycle?" web page on our site.
- Barium (CRT): Intestinal illness, muscular weakness
- Beryllium (electronics): Can damge bones, cause cancer
- Cadmium (batteries and circuit boards): Kidney, liver, bone, and blood damage
- Hexavalent chromium (steel): liver, kidney, nerve tissues
- Lead (CRT, circuit boards): Vascular and kidney disease, brain disorders in young children
- Mercury (LCD, flat panel displays, batteries): kidney damage
- Phosphorus (CRT): skin, eye, and stomach irritation
- Brominated flame retardants (plastics, cables, CRTs): endocrine disruptor, neurotoxin
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Toner(Laser printers, fax machines) Lung irritant and possible carcinogen
The following are links to info about e-waste: