||NOTES AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
- Determine that the device is a wireless router - it should say prominently - and that the Thrift Store wants it by checking the Whiteboard.
- If it is missing an antenna on its back, find one that fits and screw it on.
- Connect the device to its matching power supply and plug it in to an outlet.
- Make sure the device lights up.
- Hold the "reset" button for ~30 seconds.
- Plug the device into Das Unternet (never any other ethernet cable!)
|Connect to the Internet||
- Wait for a few moments while the device sets itself up.
- Make sure that wireless is enabled by right-clicking on the network icon on the top desktop panel above your internet browser. Make sure there is a check by "Enable Wireless."
- Left-clicking on this same network icon should show you a list of available wireless connections. Look for one the corresponds to your device (for example, 'Linksys,' 'Netgear,' 'D-Link' or 'Default.' Click on the appropriate network and wait for the connection to be established.
- If you do not see a corresponding network, try resetting the device again, but hold the button for longer.
- Make sure that the light on the device that corresponds to "wireless" is on.
- Open up an internet browser on the testing station system. With the system mouse, click "Test Network Device" on the top bar of the browser. This page should say, "It works!"
- Troubleshooting Tips
- If the device will not connect wirelessly, it may be because the wireless function is disabled in the device's default settings.
- Disable wireless on the top panel of the testing station desktop.
- Connect Das Unternet to the device.
- Click again on "Test Network Device" on the top bar of the browser. If it works, the device is good and just needs its wireless settings updated. When you click on the appropriate IP address there should be how-to notes pertaining to wireless connectivity.
- Once you have updated the wireless settings, make sure to test the connection again after unplugging Das Unternet and re-enabling wireless on the desktop panel.
|Log into the Device||
- If "It works!" use one of the IP address links to configure the device. The best IP address and username and password depends on the brand of the device.
- For Netgear:
- IP Address: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Login: admin
- Password: password or 1234 or <blank>
- For Linksys:
- IP address: 192.168.1.1
- Login: admin
- Password: admin
- Once you have successfully used the device to access the internet and logged into the device settings page, it is working and ready for sale.
|Prepare for Sale||
- Affix a "Tested By___" sticker with your initials, as well as a sticker with the IP address, username and password.
- Place the device with attached power supply in the "4 Store" bin.
- You're done! Thank you awesome tester!