Advanced Receiving (PPS)
- Program Name: @ Advanced Receiving
- Program Description: Advanced Receiving sorts and categorizes rare and unusual items that come into Free Geek, that do not otherwise have a processing procedure.
- What best describes this program? @
- Primarily income generating (expected to make money for Free Geek)
- The concept of advanced receiving was tried, and failed to accomplish the intended goals of maximizing reuse of oddball gizmos. A more effective solution was found in mining different parts of the stream. Namely, staff search for items in various parts of the building/flow and redirect these gizmos to a happy home, including (but not limited to) through Ebay sales or Safari.
- Why does Free Geek need this program?
@ Free Geek needs this program, in some form, because otherwise these items will just pile up. It would be possible to just declare all items otherwise unknown to be Copper Bearing Material, but it may be possible to generate income by sorting out some of the valuable items and selling them.
Job Position Basics
- Would there be a dedicated staff position associated with this program? NO @
- Position Title: @
- Job Description:
Costs and potential costs
- What are the expected financial staffing costs of the program? (Include all costs to the organization such as salary, payroll taxes, and benefits.)@ I think that having two or three staff members spending a few hours a week each in Advanced Receiving should be adequate. The accounting cost of that would be about 40-120 dollars a week, then, I suppose.
- What other costs are associated with the program? (Include costs of materials needed, etc.)
@ Rent for the space would be the primary one.
- If there will be a dedicated staff position, how much time would be needed for training?
- How much time would existing staff need to put in? ___________12 hours @
- How time would existing volunteers need to put in? ___________12-24 hours @
- Once the program is up and running how many staff how many hours per week would it take?
- In paid staff time? ___________12 hours/week @
- In volunteer time? ___________24 hours/week @
- Outline the intangible costs for the position and program:
@ Having exciting, unique items can be fun for some people.
- Are there any possible negative impacts on Free Geek's mission, and if so what?
@ The only one I can think of is that it would be encouraging raccoon mentality, and focusing on specific items, rather than thinking about the program as a whole.
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions currently in effect?
@ Not highly, directly.
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions being considered?
@ Not highly, directly.
- Would the program generate income? YES @
- If yes, how much income would be expected once the program is up and running? $ 500-1000 / month
- If yes, how long would it take for the program to get to that point? 2-3 months?
- How does the program support the mission of Free Geek? By generating income.
- How can the success of the program be measured?
@ By an increase in sales in the store, and by customer feedback about being able to find rare items.
- For most income generating positions, the costs initially outweigh the benefits. If this is an income generating program, how long until it is expected to break even?
@ 1-3 months.
- Outline a plan for implementing the program:
@ We add two or three shifts a week for advanced receiving, starting early next year.