- Program Name: build
- Program Description: We teach people to build computers, and in the process, build lots of computers. The computers are PC hardware, meant for sale in the store, granting to non-profits, and adoption by our volunteers.
- What best describes this program?
Primarily income generating (expected to make money for Free Geek)
While it is expected to make money, doing so is a side-effect of its primary purpose, which is to teach.
- Why does Free Geek need this program?
So that we can have computers built and so that we can attract geeks.
Job Position Basics
- Would there be a dedicated staff position associated with this program? YES
- Position Title: build coordinator, production coordinator
- Job Description: make sure build is stocked. make sure there are happy teachers. make sure there are happy students.
Costs and potential costs
- What are the expected financial staffing costs of the program? (Include all costs to the organization such as salary, payroll taxes, and benefits.)
payroll for 2 coordinators, occasional fill-in teachers.
- What other costs are associated with the program? (Include costs of materials needed, etc.)
a couple of servers, lots of hardware, rent and utilities for the build classroom
- If there will be a dedicated staff position, how much time would be needed for training?
- How much time would existing staff need to put in? ______40_______ hours @
- How time would existing volunteers need to put in? ______300_______ hours @
- Once the program is up and running how many staff how many hours per week would it take?
- In paid staff time? ______40_______ hours/week @
- In volunteer time? _______300______ hours/week @
- Outline the intangible costs for the position and program:
- Are there any possible negative impacts on Free Geek's mission, and if so what? NO
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions currently in effect?
it will sustain them
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions being considered?
- Would the program generate income? YES
- If yes, how much income would be expected once the program is up and running? $ 3600 / month
- If yes, how long would it take for the program to get to that point? -0
- How does the program support the mission of Free Geek? if we build it, they will come
- How can the success of the program be measured?
number of machines built. number of happy builders.
- For most income generating positions, the costs initially outweigh the benefits. If this is an income generating program, how long until it is expected to break even?
- Outline a plan for implementing the program:
keep doing it.