Jump to navigation Jump to search
Assignment and Dereferencing
To assign a value to an environment variable you simply type the variable name, '=', then the value. For example,
To get the value of the variable (i.e. dereference) you place a '$' before the variable name.
#echo $FOO #Rob #echo $BAR #Love
env = Shows you the environment variables that are currently defined. echo = Displays a line of text.
- What is the value of the "USER" environment variable?
- What is the value of the "HOSTNAME" environment variable?
- What is the value of the "PWD" environment variable?
- What is the value of the "HOME" environment variable?
- How would you create an environment variable named GEEK that has the contents- "FREE GEEK is the best!"?
- Using the GEEK environment variable, how would you echo the statement, "I think that FREE GEEK is the best!"?
- Can you tab-complete environment variables?