We do data entry for hardware leaving Free Geek through grants or computers going to our volunteers in the Adoption or Build Program. This allows us to keep track of how electronic devices we are able put back into the community and reuse!
- Type http://data/ in the address bar of your favorite web browser from inside Free Geek
- Click on the link on the right side of the page that says Dispersement
- Type the volunteer or organization # or name into the box titled Search for Contact
- Record the date the gizmos went out by clicking the calendar
- Enter the type of gizos that went out:
- If it is a grant box or a freebox just enter 1 CRT and 1 system
- If it is a grant enter whatever gizmos where given to the organization.
- Hit the Create button and you're done!
- Some handwriting can be pretty tough to decipher. If data entry handwriting is especially bad it might be a good idea to go over the same gizmo a couple of times.
- Make sure that the gizmo type on the paper matches the gizmo type on the computer, e.g. if you are entering data for systems make sure that the gizmo doesn't come up as a monitor. If the gizmos don't match double check the ID number. If they still don't match consult an instructor.
- Keep on the data entry paper translates to Stored on the computer.
Data entry lets us keep track of gizmo inflow and outflow. It's good for finding out where stuff is and gathering statistics. It, also, provides on hand mouse usage experience for adopters. An old school data entry manual can be found here