Employee Class Attendance Policy
This policy applies to non-management Free Geek employees.
Free Geek employees may elect to take currently-offered Free Geek classes while on paid time in order to supplement their knowledge. For example, formal Linux instruction is currently not a part of everyone's training process, but Free Geek classes are available to supplement the informal learning process. There are limitations and stipulations regarding how employees may participate in classes, including the following:
- Employees may take, at most, two classes per month while on paid time. This time should be logged as office work in the most-closely-aligned department or M&G if there is no matching department.
- Employees may alternatively work beside volunteers in a work area for one shift of 3-4 hours per month while on paid time. If a work area has prerequisites for volunteers (e.g., completing Build before training in Laptops), the same prerequisites apply to employees.
- Individuals should seek supervisor approval before submitting requests for schedule changes.
- Individuals must submit requests for a schedule change at least two Saturdays before the scheduled class (e.g., if you would like to take a class on Thursday, March 8, you would have to put in the request by the end of the day Saturday, February 25). These requests may or may not be approved.
- Excluding the Education Coordinator, only one employee can be signed up for any individual class while on paid time. Selection will generally be based on a first-come first-served process.
- Employees may sign up for a class before getting scheduling approval, but must remove their name if the request is rejected.
- If an individual attends a class during a time when they are regularly scheduled for a floor shift, and their supervisor did not require attendance at the class, then the supervisor may request that the schedulers assign an equivalent amount of additional floor time to the individual on the next regular weekly schedule at the expense of undesignated or project time.
POLICY NUMBER: HR-251-BU
POLICY NAME: Bargaining-Unit Staff Class Attendance Policy