Forklift Maintenance for Clark T15
Twice Weekly checklist
- Battery Water Level
Check water level before driving. If adding water, record it on the Forklift Maintenance Calendar, which is on the wall above the charger.
Remove nails or other object that get stuck in the rubber wheels.
Make sure forks are locked in position.
- Safety Devices
Check horn, lights, seat belt, BRAKES (parking & foot).
- Overall Condition
Check for fluid leaks, loose or tangled chains, loose bolts.
Weekly checklist and maintainance
- Charging the Battery
When the charge is below 30%, it SHOULD be charged, when the charge is below 20%, it MUST be charged. Always check the water level before charging, even if you checked it that morning.
Deep discharge before charging will prolong battery life & prevent "memory" problems.
How does the charger work? = There is no "ON" switch, just plug it into the battery, & wait about 5 seconds, you'll hear the hum. It will stop by itself.
There is a "STOP" switch if we wanna stop the charge for any reason.
Every 5th charge "EQUALIZE" with the normal charge by pushing the equalize button on the charger. If you're not sure how many charges since last "equalize" check calendar above charger.
Check the water level in each cell AFTER charging, & after the water has cooled a bit - like the morning after the charge. Adding tap water - with all its minerals & junk - will shorten battery life.
To charge the battery
- shut down the forklift completely
- open up and fold back the seat lid over the battery
- Always check the water level before charging, even if you checked it that morning.
- unplug the huge cable from the forklift and plug it into the charger
- wait 5 seconds, you'll hear a hum when charger is working
- the charger will shut down by it self, reconnect big cable to battery, and fold down the seat. Please make sure the cable doesn't get pinched on the left side of the seat and is fully inserted.
Note: charging the battery produces hydrogen gas bubbles coming out of the battery. DO NOT smoke near the battery when the seat lid is up, especially not while charging is going on.
We do not refill Acid on the battery. This should be done at the forklift repairshop. The PM contract mechanic will recommend it if needed.