Forklift Maintenance for Clark T15
Twice Weekly checklist
- Battery Water Level
Check water level before driving. If adding water, record it on the Forklift Maintenance Calendar, which is on the wall above the charger.
Remove nails or other object that get stuck in the rubber wheels.
Make sure forks are locked in position.
- Safety Devices
Check horn, lights, seat belt, BRAKES (parking & foot).
- Overall Condition
Check for fluid leaks, loose or tangled chains, loose bolts.
Charging The Battery
When the charge is below 30%, it SHOULD be charged, when the charge is below 20%, it MUST be charged. NEVER add water just before charging: this will cause a boil-over, which will leave acid residue on the battery.
Deep discharge before charging will prolong battery life & prevent "memory" problems, but do not let the charge fall below 20%.
There is a "STOP" switch if we wanna stop the charge for any reason. You may need to use it after an Equalize charge (because the indicator light stays on).
Every 5th charge "EQUALIZE" with the normal charge by pushing the equalize button on the charger. If you're not sure how many charges since last "equalize" check calendar above charger.
Check the water level in each cell AFTER charging, & after the water has cooled a bit - like the morning after the charge. While distilled water is preferable, our P.M. people say the PDX tap water is clean enough.
To charge the battery
- shut down the forklift completely
- open up and fold back the seat lid over the battery
- unplug the huge cable from the forklift and plug it into the charger (there is no "on" button)
- wait 5 seconds, you'll hear a hum when charger is working
- the charger will shut down by it self.
- reconnect big cable to battery, and fold down the seat. Please make sure the cable doesn't get pinched on the left side of the seat and is fully inserted.
Note: charging the battery produces hydrogen gas bubbles coming out of the battery. DO NOT smoke near the battery when the seat lid is up, especially not while charging is going on.
We do not refill Acid on the battery. This should be done at the forklift repairshop. The PM contract mechanic will recommend it if needed.