Free Geek's status as a nonprofit
People often ask questions like these ones:
- Is FreeGeek a "charity" according to the IRS?
- What's the difference between a charity and a nonprofit?
- Is "FreeGeek" the official name?
Simple answer: Free Geek, Inc. is a charity according to the IRS.
Types of nonprofits
There are several different type of nonprofits that are defined by IRS codes. Broadly speaking a nonprofit (aka non-profit, not-for-profit, etc.) is an incorporated organization that exists for purposes other than making a profit. This could be a foundation, union, school, business association, political party, hospital, etc., as well as a charity.
501(c)(3) is the classification for tax-exempt charities, such as Free Geek. (Generally speaking, 501(c)(3) organizations don't need to pay taxes. Also people can deduct donations to us off their income taxes.) This can be a difficult status to obtain, but we got our provisional status rather quickly in 2000. In November of 2005 (5 years later) we received the confirmation letter from the IRS, so we are no longer provisional.
- Official name and address
- Free Geek
- 1731 SE 10th Av
- Portland, OR 97214
- TIN or EIN or Federal ID Number or Tax ID Number or Employers ID Number (or whatever you want to call it)
- 93-1292010 (GuideStar report)
- Oregon Business Registry Number
- 747743-82 (see our record here)
- Registered in the State of Oregon
- April 13, 2000