- Standing HR Committee
- Mission: Provides oversight for those areas of Free Geek pertaining to the health and well being of volunteers and staff.
- Programs: Human resources, volunteer and staff discipline, procedures regarding theft from Free Geek, mediation between conflicting parties, staff and intern reviews, health care and benefits packages, employee manual, oversee the hiring process, trainings.
- Email: hr at freegeek.org
- Likely Suspects: Richard, Liane, Mark
This is the page for the Staff Collective's Human Resources Committee
Look at this every week
- Hiring Checklist Begin here if you've been put on a hiring committee.
- Buddy Finish that list and hand it off to a buddy, who will need of these:
- Orienting New Staff Members
Policies (adopted and in progress)
- Hiring Policy
- Program Planning Guidelines
- Collective Member Review Policy
- Staff Discipline Policy PROPOSAL
- Volunteer Discipline Policy
- Staff Categories
- Hiring Strategy
- Weapons Policy
- Layoffs and Hours Reduction
- Hiring Strategy Session (August 2, 2005)
The Staff Collective currently has the following members:
We're trying to look ahead at the big picture for staffing Free Geek. Our aim is to decrease the roller coaster effect.
One unofficial goal for Free Geek might be to increase the number of interns as compared to staff collective members. This opens up more opportunities for young people and others with job experience issues to build up job resumes. It also gives us staffing flexibility since internships are shorter term by definition and makes it more likely we can absorb an intern's duties back into the staff collective in case of financial shortfalls, avoiding other types of cutbacks and layoffs. This goal could be met by hiring new positions as interns (when we expand staff as we can afford it), or by converting existing staff positions to internships (as staff collective members leave). Of course, this can only be done where appropriate. We do not want to require or expect an intern to do collective level work.
Possible Staff Positions
Over the years, people have proposed various jobs that we could -- if we were rich -- hire for, either into the collective or as interns. Here are some of those ideas:
- Systems Admin
- Liaison with ASS, monitor and maintain systems and software, manage technical emergencies.
- Testing Intern
- Keep basic and advanced testing flowing and make sure that volunteers both learn and help.
- Printer Exploratory Intern
- Establish procedures for a printer program, streamline processes, and recruit volunteers. Help determine viability and need for a staff position.
(Your actual expense budget goes here, along with explanatory notes, for example notes indicating which months expenses are expected to happen in,.)
- Training and education $250/qtr
- Job Postings (Craigslist, Idealist, etc.)
- $150 Q1 and Q3
- $100 Q2 and Q4
(This is where one time expenses would go. Yearly or more often go above.)
(This is for notes that indicate expenses that affect your committee but are actually classified under a different committee.)