Intern Interview Questions
The questions below are a list of many of the questions we've asked unpaid intern candidates. If you're going to interview someone for an internship, you should pick and choose which questions you'd like to ask.
Also, you should get acquainted with how to screen and supervise interns.
- What is your experience with computers?
- What is your experience with Linux?
- What kind of experience do you have with teaching? Tell us about formal and informal experiences, including one-on-one teaching of absolute beginners.
- Describe a time when you taught a total beginner a relatively complex task. What happened? What was the outcome?
- Why do you want to intern with us?
- How does an internship at Free Geek fit into your career goals?
- What would your last supervisor say your strengths are? What would he or she say your areas for improvement are?
- Do you work best by yourself or with other people around?
- Are you interested in taking on a supervisory role?
- How comfortable are you with constant change?
- Are there any skills or acheivements that you'd like to share with us?
- What do you want to acheive here?
- What specific skills would you like to pick up while interning here?
- What do you know about the philosophy of free open source software?
- What do you know about freegeek?
- Have you ever worked with a volunteer run, grassroots organization? What did you learn about how to actually accomplish things in this environment?
- What limitations are there on your volunteer time according to your court orders? (if appropriate)
- If appropriate: Do you have a history of violence against people or property? Do you have any stalking orders against you? Are you allowed to volunteer around children? Do you have a history of theft?
- When would you like to start? What hours would you like to work?
- (If the interviewee is completing the internship for school credit or other organization's program) What sort of paperwork should I expect to fill out?