Intern Interview Questions
This page has been migrated to a document on Free Geek's Google Drive.
Information remaining behind may no longer be relevant.
When you have tagged this page as migrated,
(Link to new page immediately below.)
The questions below are a list of many of the questions we've asked intern candidates. If you're going to interview someone for an internship, you should pick and choose which questions you'd like to ask.
Also, you should get acquainted with how to screen and supervise interns.
- What do you know about Free Geek?
- Did you get a chance to look over the internship description? Do you have any questions about it?
- What interested you most about this particular internship?
- Why do you want to intern with us?
- This internship will involve training new volunteers regularly. Describe a time when you taught a total beginner a relatively complex task. What happened? What was the outcome?
- You will be working with a diverse volunteer group, do you consider yourself a people person?
- How does an internship at Free Geek fit into your career goals?
- What do you want to achieve here?
- What specific skills would you like to pick up while interning here?
- What would your last supervisor say your strengths are? What would s/he say your areas for improvement are?
- Do you work best by yourself or with other people around?
- Are you interested in taking on a supervisory role?
- Are there any skills or achievements that you'd like to share with us?
- Give me an example when you had a volunteer or employee who was excited about an opportunity but was having difficulty following specific guidelines or policies, how did you handle this situation? If you don't have any personal experience with this, what would you do in a situation like this?
- What is your experience with Linux?
- What do you know about the philosophy of free open source software?
- What is your experience with computers?
- What kind of experience do you have with teaching? Tell us about formal and informal experiences, including one-on-one teaching of absolute beginners.
- Have you ever worked with a volunteer run, grassroots organization? What did you learn about how to actually accomplish things in this environment?
- Do you have any questions for me?
- When would you like to start? What hours would you like to work?
- (If the interviewee is completing the internship for school credit or other organization's program) What sort of paperwork should I expect to fill out?