Laptop Build Abbreviated Checklist
- This is a brief guide for experienced builders.
- Reference your build binder for how-to and troubleshooting instructions.
- Thanks for all your hard work!
1. Inspect the system
☐ Replace needed parts, repair damages where possible, note cosmetic damage on the Keeper label.
2. Verify Keeper lable information
☐ Fill out the top sections of the Keeper label.
3. Check for an imaged hard drive
☐ Install a drive as needed, according to Laptop Specs (A-6).
4. Check optical drive hardware
☐ Make sure the laptop has a CD/DVD-ROM or CD/DVD-RW drive installed.
- Note the drive on the Keeper label as well.
5. Find an appropriate AC adapter
☐ Set the BIOS boot order.
- Optical drive first, hard drive second, network boot last.
☐ Verify that BIOS recognizes approximately the same amount of RAM as recorded on the Keeper label.
7. Test Input Devices
☐ Use the Keyboard and Mouse testing software on the network boot menu.
- Be sure to test all trackpad inputs.
8. Boot into Xubuntu 12.04
- For audio, be sure to test both internal speakers and headphone (1/8") jack.
10. Configure networking
☐ Confirm internet access via LAN port by browsing to a website.
☐ Confirm wireless works by browsing to a website.
11. Install restricted extras and check for proprietary drivers
☐ Run Restricted Extras & DVD Codec installer.
☐ Check for Additional Hardware drivers. Ask your instructor before installing proprietary drivers.
12. Test optical drive
☐ Verify that the optical drive can read CD and DVD media.
- Disk burning testing has been removed from laptop build for the time being.
13. Test USB ports
☐ Make sure your instructor signs off on the digital copy.
☐ Print a copy of the Printme to the Desktop.
15. Next steps
☐ If the system has more than 4GB of RAM installed, ask your instructor for help installing PAE software.
☐ Set the appropriate GUI settings for
batterytest in Menu >> Settings >> Power Management.
☐ Review the Keeper label, and start any needed tests.