Laptop Build Abbreviated Checklist
This page is being migrated to a documnent of Free Geek's Google Drive.
- This is a brief guide for experienced builders.
- Reference your build binder for how-to and troubleshooting instructions.
- Thanks for all your hard work!
1. Inspect the system
☐ Replace needed parts, repair damages where possible, note cosmetic damage on the Keeper label.
2. Verify Keeper label information
☐ Fill out the top sections of the Keeper label.
3. Check for imaged hard drive
☐ Install a hard drive as needed, according to Laptop Specs (A-6).
4. Check Optical Drive hardware
☐ Make sure the laptop has a CD/DVD-ROM or CD/DVD-RW drive installed.
- Note the drive on the Keeper label as well.
5. Find an appropriate AC adapter
☐ Set the BIOS boot order.
- Optical drive first, hard drive second, network boot last.
☐ Verify that BIOS recognizes approximately the same amount of RAM as recorded on the Keeper label.
7. Test Input Devices
☐ Use the Keyboard and Mouse testing software on the network boot menu.
- Be sure to test all trackpad inputs.
8. Boot into Xubuntu 12.04
9. Run audio tests and
☐ For audio, open a Terminal and type
speaker-test -t wav -c2 -l1
- Be sure to test both internal speakers and headphone (1/8") jack.
10. Confirm installed RAM
☐ Open a Terminal and type
- Check with an instructor if you have more than 3GB of RAM installed but significantly less than the total amount is indicated (e.g. 3.4GB appears with 4GB installed).
11. Configure networking
☐ Confirm internet access via LAN port by browsing to a website.
☐ Confirm wireless works by browsing to a website.
12. Install restricted extras and check for proprietary drivers
☐ Run Restricted Extras & DVD Codec installer.
☐ Check for Additional Hardware drivers. Ask your instructor before installing proprietary drivers.
13. Test Optical Drive
☐ Verify that the optical drive can read CD and DVD media.
- Disk burning testing has been removed from laptop build for the time being.
14. Test USB ports
☐ Make sure your instructor signs off on the digital copy.
☐ Print a copy of the Printme to the Desktop.
16. Next Steps
☐ Set the appropriate GUI settings for
batterytest in Menu → Settings → Settings Manager → Power Management.
☐ Review the Keeper Label, and start any needed tests.