- Program Name: Laptop build
- Program Description:
the sorting, building, refurbishing and repairing of laptops
- What best describes this program?
Primarily income generating (expected to make money for Free Geek) although it would also be focused on teaching.
- Why does Free Geek need this program?
to do something with all those damned laptops
Job Position Basics
- Would there be a dedicated staff position associated with this program? YES
- Position Title: laptop coordinator
- Job Description:
keep laptop area stocked and organized, keep laptop builders happy and informed, find hard to find information regarding laptops, teach classes, repair laptops
Costs and potential costs
- What are the expected financial staffing costs of the program?
fulltime coordinator pay and benefits
- What other costs are associated with the program? (Include costs of materials needed, etc.)
- all our laptop hardware.
- we would occasionally want cheap but hard-to-find bits to repair with.
- we could look into battery refurbishment
- If there will be a dedicated staff position, how much time would be needed for training?
- How much time would existing staff need to put in? ______50_______ hours
- How time would existing volunteers need to put in? ______50_______ hours
- Once the program is up and running how many staff how many hours per week would it take?
- In paid staff time? _____20-30_____ hours/week
- In volunteer time? ______100_______ hours/week
- Outline the intangible costs for the position and program:
- Are there any possible negative impacts on Free Geek's mission, and if so what?
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions currently in effect?
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions being considered?
- Would the program generate income? YES
- If yes, how much income would be expected once the program is up and running? $ 2000 / month
- If yes, how long would it take for the program to get to that point? one month
- How does the program support the mission of Free Geek?
reusing hardware, teaching people about laptops
- How can the success of the program be measured?
- number of laptops built, laptop sales, volunteer involvement
- For most income generating positions, the costs initially outweigh the benefits. If this is an income generating program, how long until it is expected to break even? a few months
- Outline a plan for implementing the program:
- get council approval
- hire someone
- train them
- have them organize the program