Odds and Ends

From FreekiWiki
Revision as of 12:44, 19 July 2014 by Kevin.Williams (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This page has been migrated to a document on Free Geek's Google Drive.

Information remaining behind may no longer be relevant.


When you have tagged this page as migrated,
please add a link to the new document on Google Drive.

(Link to new page immediately below.)


From time to time we need to deal with items that we don't usually recycle. Here is a list of items, and what to do with them.


  • what to do: break down into small pieces, put in provided bags
  • where to take it: Total Reclaim will pick it up, costs us money

plastic film

  • what to do: collect clear plastic bags, stretchable,and #2 and #4 grocery bags, in big bags,
  • where to take it: take to International Paper, or Recology

light bulbs

  • including incandescent, fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs
  • what to do: collect them in separate boxen, protect them from breaking
  • where to take it: Total Reclaim(EcoLightsNW) will pick up, need to let TR know to bring invoice/Haz Waste Manifest, costs us money

scanner bulbs

  • if they come in loose, do not remove from scanner
  • what to do: store in a cardboard box, cushion the bulbs to prevent breaking, affix "Hazardous" sign
  • where to take it: Total Reclaim/Ecolights will pick up, costs us money


  • what to do: separate potential PCB from Non-PCB by reading the label, ballasts that say non-PCB on the label can be put in the CBM gaylord, all questionable ones should go to Total Recalim
  • where to take it: Total Reclaim, need to let TR know to bring invoice/Haz Mat Manifest and container for transport, costs us money

UPS batteries

  • what to do: collect enough to fill 5-8 Milk crates
  • where to take it: R.S.Davis Recycling will pick up

small appliances

  • including refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers
  • what to do (microwaves, dishwasher): send to Metro Metals on the printer scrap pallet
  • what to do (refrigerator, dehumidefier, water cooler): send to Total Reclaim, costs us money

wood waste

  • what to do: collect enough for a truck run
  • where to take it: Far West Fibers, costs us money


  • re: older style mercury bearing thermostats/thermometers
  • collect in a safe box to prevent breaking
  • fill out Haz Mat form from Metro CEG program(to be added)
  • take to Metro Hazardous Waste site
  • costs us money


smoke detectors

  • what to do: find out manufacturer
  • where to take it: send back to manufacturer
    • manufacturer address usually on the back of the smoke detector, if not, find out if the same manufacturer produces under different lables
    • most common: Kibbe, First Alert, often also labeled UL-United Laboratories
    • As of Feb 2012, this website has addresses of many smoke detector manufacturers:


oil filled radiators

  • what to do: drain the oil out of the plug, store in closed container
  • where to take it: housing goes in to steel bin, oil goes to hazardous waste site