Power Supply Triage
This page has been migrated to a document on Free Geek's Google Drive.
Information remaining behind may no longer be relevant.
When you have tagged this page as migrated,
(Link to new page immediately below.)
Power supply sorting is done in System Evaluation.
Testing Power Supplies
Use a standard ATX power supply tester for a 20 pin ATX power supply.
For each power supply that needs to be tested, do these things:
- Plug each power supply into outlet
- If there is a rear power supply switch, make sure it is turned on.
- Connect the tester to the 20 pin ATX connector
- Check lights (all lights on is good, but it is also OK if the -5V light is off)
- Connect the tester to the 4 pin ATX connector
- Check to see if the +12V light is on
What to do when done, where to put them
- Mark them OK in a corner on the side where the wires come out with a sharpie.
- Use small letters. These are likely going to be sold and customers don't want them all marked up.
- Put them on the POWER SUPPLIES TO KEEP shelf
- Mark them LARGE frowny face somewhere with a sharpie. Go ahead and be creative if you want.
- Take them to the warehouse and put them in the POWER SUPPLIES TO RECYCLE location