In Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Canonical put a skype package in their "partner" repository.
- Enable the backports repository using the 'Software Sources' utility found under 'System>Administration>Software Sources'
- Reload the sources when "Software Sources" prompts you to or run an apt-get update.
- Install Skype
sudo apt-get install skype
Ubuntu 8.10 and later versions
Skype has provided a .deb package for 8.10 that has both 32 and 64bit versions and has been tested on 8.10-9.10.
- Download the .deb package from here
- Double click on the .deb file to open it with GDebi.
- Click 'Install Package' which will install skype and any of its dependencies.
As of Skype version 184.108.40.206 there is no longer a package compatible with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. If you want to use Skype you should consider updating to a newer version of ubuntu (dont just --force-all when installing skype because it won't work).