Difference between revisions of "State of the Onion"

From FreekiWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(145 intermediate revisions by 19 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
{{cleanup}}
 +
 +
 
{{RightTOC}}
 
{{RightTOC}}
 
This is a list of Free Geek programs and functions organized by the staff committee that is charged with their oversight. We are asking each committee or person responsible to post a brief description of the state of each program.  
 
This is a list of Free Geek programs and functions organized by the staff committee that is charged with their oversight. We are asking each committee or person responsible to post a brief description of the state of each program.  
Line 4: Line 7:
 
''(For more information on each committee see the [[Standing Staff Committees]] page.)''
 
''(For more information on each committee see the [[Standing Staff Committees]] page.)''
  
NOTE: When updating a section, please '''sign your work with the "four squiggles" syntax (<nowiki>~~~~</nowiki>)''' so we can see when the item was last updated (and by whom). ''(In theory, reports that are unsigned were created by someone from the committee or responsible for the indicated program before this note was added. [[User:Rfs|RfS]] 09:06, 26 January 2007 (PST))''
+
NOTE: When updating a section, please '''sign your work with the "four squiggles" syntax (<nowiki>~~~~</nowiki>)''' so we can see when the item was last updated (and by whom).
  
 
== Action ==
 
== Action ==
 
;Recycling
 
;Recycling
: Forklift is fixed. We're using it less now. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: Recycling is good and busy. A few volunteer interns have moved on after giving great support to the recycling operation, training volunteers, and learning about e-waste. Recycling staff is constantly looking for ways to improve income from recycling by better sorting of material, and identifying new items to disassemble.
: We passed the OR state audit with flying colors.  Working on getting BAN certification. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
 
  
 
;Hardware Donations
 
;Hardware Donations
: Things have settled down in receiving now that we're used to the e-waste legislation and how to handle incoming items and their donors. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: Hardware Donations now has permanent staff, and improvements will be coming soon. HD has it's own meeting on the fourth Tuesday of every month to check in, train each other and discuss issues.  
 
 
;Maintenance and design of the physical plant
 
: The classroom will get a divider. We're working on the plans and getting a grant from the Rebuilding Center for free materials. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
 
: Working on what do with Ken's space as he finishes moving out. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
 
  
 
;Building security
 
;Building security
: We have moved all valuable gizmos away from windows in the store and other locations.  We decided not to get blinds for this reason and because of budget tightness. [[User:Darryl|Darryl]] 10:22, 09 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: Some keys have changed to make it easier to track who has which key. No one has set off the alarm accidentally in a good while, as everyone is following procedures of using only the south door for entry.  
  
 
;General safety
 
;General safety
: Remember To Play Safe. In the next two months we will be reevaluating our evacuation plans, and get the word out about any changes. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 18:57, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
+
: Remember To Play Safe. Lift with your knees! Ask for help! Keep walkways free of clutter and trip hazards!
  
 
== C7 ==
 
== C7 ==
 
;Policy development
 
;Policy development
: The "policy cleanup on the wiki" project seems to have slowed down significantly.
+
: The "policy cleanup on the wiki" project is now in HR's basket.
  
 
;load balancing of the committees
 
;load balancing of the committees
: All of the committees have enough people, but some committees function better than others.  It's the intention that the Reuse Committee will be splitting into two separate committees soonish: Sales & Production.  The Outreach-y committees/work groups have been altered (again) and now consist of the ad-hoc Events Committee and the following Standing Staff Committees: Inreach= and PR.
+
: Some of the committees do not have enough people, and some committees function better than others.   
  
 
;liaison with Free Geek Community Council and Free Geek Board of Directors
 
;liaison with Free Geek Community Council and Free Geek Board of Directors
Line 38: Line 36:
  
 
;proposals concerning changes to the committee structure itself
 
;proposals concerning changes to the committee structure itself
: We were thinking about ideas expressed in [[Multi-Collective Free Geek]] as a starting point for a possibly different committee structure.  
+
: We had been thinking about ideas expressed in [[Multi-Collective Free Geek]] as a starting point for a possibly different committee structure.  The conversation is up in the air right now.
  
 
;accounting and financial oversight
 
;accounting and financial oversight
Line 45: Line 43:
 
== HR ==
 
== HR ==
 
;Human resources
 
;Human resources
: We hired a new Front Desk Intern! Please welcome Tim Webster. Tim replaces Renee Harger, who has been with us for the past six months.  As Ian leaves the Collective, we are hiring for a Build Program Coordinator in his place.  Ali has taken on the role of interim Laptops Coordinator. We are planning a staff collective retreat for May 2009.
+
 
 +
: We are preparing for the departure of Laurel, our Education Coordinator. We are drafting job descriptions and plan to begin hiring within the next couple of weeks! [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 18:56, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
 +
 
 +
;employee manual
 +
: The [[Staff Handbook]] is on the wiki. It is more up-to-date than it's ever been! <br>[[User:Valerie|Valerie]] 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
  
 
;volunteer and staff discipline
 
;volunteer and staff discipline
: We have a [[Volunteer Discipline Policy]]. There are a few active tickets in our Volunteer Issues queue which is visible to staff only. Active tickets in the queue are reviewed at HR meetings.
+
: The HR Committee is continuing to review the Volunteer Issues queue. We want Free Geek to be a safe and welcoming place to learn and to give back to the community, and we ask our volunteer to abide by our [[General Conduct Guidelines]]. Although Free Geek has a [[Volunteer Discipline Policy]], we are still brainstorming ideas for a formal grievance policy and related procedures.<br>[[User:Valerie|Valerie]] 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
  
 
;procedures regarding theft from Free Geek
 
;procedures regarding theft from Free Geek
Line 54: Line 56:
  
 
;mediation between conflicting parties
 
;mediation between conflicting parties
: We do this as it needs to be done. There have been a few formal mediations, but generally we try to get people to talk to each other to head that off. We have set up a rotating ombudsman role to handle complaints from the public.
+
:There haven't been any "conflicts" and our Ombuds(wo)men are happy and bored.  
  
;volunteer and staff scheduling
+
;Staff Trainings
: Volunteer scheduling is done on paper, and works mostly. Tour guides are now scheduled, basic testing is off the schedule, and special volunteering can be written in on the miscellaneous area. Staff scheduling is semi automated but last minute changes eat up time (and money). It would be good to have a program that makes this easier.  Staff schedule has changed to http://data/staffsched/ from inside Free Geek (thanks Ryan!).
+
: Board and staff are currently planning an In-Service. Staff can add training topics as they see fit on the page [[Winter/Spring 2012 Inservice Trainings]]. [[User:Alamb|Alamb]] 19:39, 6 January 2012
  
;staff and intern reviews
+
;Staff Reviews
: We have implemented a system whereby staff members get informally reviewed at HR meetings.  This way, staff get reviewed more frequently and HR members don't waste time with lengthy reviews.  As before, a full review can be called at any time.  We will continue with a full review at 6 months for probationary collective members.
+
: The next reviews coming up are 6 months reviews for new collective members.
 +
:We continue to have ongoing discussions of how to make the review process the best it can be.<br>[[User:Valerie|Valerie]] 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
  
 
;health care and benefits packages
 
;health care and benefits packages
: Staff collective members have health care (including alternative care such as naturopathy), sick, vacation, and holidays. The health plan was just renewed and costs us approximately $345 per person per month. Some collective members use other plans and are eligible to reimbursed for most of their costs in lieu of taking our plan. We added a retirement benefit, where Free Geek will match up to 3.2% of a collective members salary, providing the collective member make an equal or greater contribution to a 403(b) plan (similar to a 401(k) plan, but for nonprofits). Dependents (one child per staff member) are also included in the health care plan.
+
: Staff members who work over 24 hours a week have health care (including alternative care such as naturopathy, dental, and vision).  We have 3 plans available to us: a standard plan, a "high" pkan, and a POS plan to access providers outside the Kaiser network. Staff members that choose the"high" plan or the POS plan pay an additional cost. Some employees use other plans and are eligible to be reimbursed for most of their costs in lieu of taking our plan.
  
;employee manual
+
== Education ==
: The [[Staff Handbook]] is on the wiki
+
''(the committee formerly known as Knowledge Bees)''
 +
;Education
 +
: Lots of education news at Free Geek: We were just awarded a $10,000 grant to renovate our classroom! Look for big changes in the next couple of months! Additionally, all classes are now '''free''' for all volunteers and community members. We have a whole host of new classes, which can be viewed on-line here: http://www.freegeek.org/about/education/.[[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 23:15, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
  
== Knowledge Bees ==
+
;Accessibility
;Education
+
: There is a new group at Free Geek meeting to discuss accessibility to our programs. The group is working on specific job descriptions for each volunteer task at Free Geek, which will help assess the accessibility of the area and which accommodations are needed and possible. [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 15:14, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
: Beyond Adoption Classes are taught on Wednesdays (4-6pm) and Fridays (12:30-1:30pm or 2:30 for Super Adopter)! [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 17:30, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
 
  
 
;Documentation
 
;Documentation
: We're cleaning up the Ubuntu New User FAQ and working on the manual [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 17:30, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: The new Lucid manual is installed on the desktop of each computer we build! [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 15:14, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
  
 
;Technical Support
 
;Technical Support
: We have 5 days a week of tech support availability. [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 17:30, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: We recently hired Patrick Sullivan to help cover Tech Support and Advanced Testing.[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)  
  
 
;City of Portland Computers
 
;City of Portland Computers
:We have a partnership with the City of Portland to get computers into homes of Portland school children. We are working on a plan to carry this out over the summer. More to come! [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 17:30, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
+
:Our program, Plug into Portland, is off to a good start! We sent a letter to all schools that classify as low-income within the City of Portland, offering a free computer to any K-12 student that had completed 24 hours of volunteer work in the past year. In order to get the computer, students have to fill out this application (http://www.freegeek.org/plugintoportland) and attend a computer class at Free Geek.[[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 23:15, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
  
 
;Free Geek Library
 
;Free Geek Library
: Check it out! It looks just like a library. Laurel 1, Kathies 1 and 2, have been working to get the library software up and running. Until then, we will continue to use the borrow book to check books out. [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 20:40, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
+
:The Library may be consolidated in the near future to see about better utilizing the space and expanding our Public Access Computer Lab. Long-time volunteer Tex has been taking reigns on making sure the Library is regularly sorted and culled, as there is currently no staff oversight of the area.[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
== Outreach ==
+
== Inreach ==
: Outreach is a staff committee that is open to volunteer participation. We cover a lot of different areas at Free Geek, so to make this more manageable we broke it down into five subcommittees and one over-sight committee called "Outreach", which can be reached by emailing outreach at freegeek.org. Each committee has a mailing list that can be joined by signing up at: http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo.
 
  
;FG Events
+
: Inreach is working hard to make sure the front desk runs smoothly. We are also working on upping our volunteer appreciation ways and coming up with great new methods for thanking our wonderful volunteers. Inreach has implemented our new Volunteer Application, Volunteer Orientation Packet, Build Program Info sheet and Adoption Program Info sheet.
: There are 2 large events on our radar. The first is a large volunteer event in the summer (more like a family day, less (external) community outreach Than a geek Fair). The Second is our 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 16:11, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
 
 
;Inreach
 
: Inreach is working hard to make sure the front desk runs smoothly. We are also planning a volunteer appreciation event for the end of March. Inreach is extremely excited to welcome our new Front Desk Intern, Tim Webster, as well as our many new Office Volunteer Interns! Say "hi" to new faces at the front desk.[[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 20:46, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
 
  
;Community Builders
+
== PR ==
: PR will be the contact for our multiple neighborhood cleanups and tabling opportunities around Earth Day.
+
; Media Outreach & Relations
 +
: Darren is working with Portland Youth Media to arrange a partnership wherein PYM's participating youth will gain video making/editing experience by creating a video presentation chronicling our respective processes for recycling and refurbishing desktop systems. The video will be distributed on Youtube and other outlets, and incorporated into our planned info display at the donor desk.
 +
; Ads & Marketing
 +
: Our ReDirect Guide profile is currently offering a coupon for $25 off customers' next laptop purchase.
 +
; Free Geek [http://www.freegeek.org| website]
 +
: We have reconvened the website admin working group (ewbadmin@lists.freegeek.org) to maintain the website in partnership with Technocrats, and continue researching ways we can update the website to be more customizable and usable for data analysis. The working group is meeting during PR meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month.
 +
; Tabling Events and Networking with other organizations
 +
: We are actively promoting Youth Empowerment Action's summer camp program with fliers and posters around the building, as well as hits to social media.
 +
: We were placed in the Nonprofit Pavilion for OSCON 2012 and are working on scheduling tabling shifts as well as working out shared use of the complimentary conference pass. Know a volunteer who may want to table with us at this and other public events? Send them our way!
 +
; State of the Committee
 +
: We recently welcomed new PR member James Pella, who is working on helping us develop a strategic plan for social media.
 +
: Re: installing an informational LCD display at the Donor Desk - Plans are in progress for content to be included in the display; visit the wiki page
 +
(http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Donor_Desk_Development) to see the content outline we've developed and suggest any changes on the discussion page.
  
;Fundraising
+
== Events ==
: We Have Formed a Fundrasing Workgroup! they meet officially weekly, and unofficially lots more than that. They are currentley working on creating flow charts and checklists to help sort through the vareious granting oppertunities. Also they are sorting throught the many "Long Term Planning" Documents on the wiki. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 16:11, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
+
;FG Events
 
+
: The 2011 Free Geek Holiday Party went off without a hitch thanks to our fantastic NPAs! Approximately 40 people turned out to spread a little holiday cheer around the Meeting Room and Library, with some delicious potluck foods.
;PR
 
: We rolled out the new website! And then rolled it back in! And now it's back out! Check it out. [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 20:46, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
 
  
 
== Propagation ==
 
== Propagation ==
 
;Liaison with Free Geek startups (the replication of Free Geek elsewhere)
 
;Liaison with Free Geek startups (the replication of Free Geek elsewhere)
: over the last 2 months we have been evaluating the initial start up Process for Free Geeks and making miner tweaks as needed. We have also been working on defining services that we can all combine to help releave some pressure and spread knowledge faster. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 16:20, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: Free Geek Twin Cities opened its doors on Saturday, October 17, and received good press coverage. Dave visited Free Geek Vancouver, and we will be hosting guests from FGV here in the near future. [[User:Rfs|RfS]] 00:56, 22 October 2009 (UTC)
  
 
;liaison with GAP volunteers
 
;liaison with GAP volunteers
: A list of current [[GAP]] sites is on this wiki. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 16:20, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: GAP has been functionally nonexistent for a while.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
 +
 
 +
== Production (Reuse Programs) ==
 +
;Build Program
 +
: The Build program continues to flourish, and shifts are filled up at least a week in advance.  Laptop QCs were introduced into Desktop Build late last year and have helped to push our Laptop production higher than its ever been.  We recently hired Omar Vargas as our Spanish Outreach Coordinator to help develop our Spanish Build & Prebuild shifts, with sights set on a Spanish Mac Build in the near future.
 +
:Freekbox specs have risen yet again!  RAM and desktop HDD supplies have been piling high, which means Freekboxes are more powerful than ever. Additionally, Build and Adoption volunteers are now taking home LCD monitors!<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
;Hardware Grants
+
;Advanced Testing
: We are looking for ways to get more computers to schools, and school kids in the Portland. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 16:20, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
+
: With the departure of everyone's favorite Reuse Coordinator, Meredith Blankinship, AT is currently under the temporary stewardship of Cynthia Prevatte; our newest Reuse Coordinator.  Additionally, our newest hire Patrick Sullivan is helping to oversee AT and Tech Support!  Be sure to give him a high-five when you see him! 
 +
:Volunteer and intern numbers have been dwindling in recent months, so AT is actively looking for Post-Builders excited about the gizmos inside and out of the Box.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
== Reuse ==
+
;[[Laptop]] Build
;Freekbox, storebox, grantbox production (build)
+
: Laptops has been seeing record high numbers of donations in recent months, and production is higher than its ever been.  A steady stream of dedicated volunteers have been filling out our shifts (currently Tuesday through Friday, AM & PM) and learning the ropes in what it takes to pull apart and piece together lappies.  There is still a limited number of staff trained in running the area, which means shift cancellations occur whenever a staff member calls in sick (as seen in December 2011).
: Build is healthy and strong, emptying all incoming piles and filling all outgoing shelves. Our [[Freekbox | specs]] [[Storebox | are]] [[Grantbox | higher]] than ever, as we ride along the wake of Moore's law.
+
:A new Laptop Eval program is currently under development to offer a third alternative to the Build and Adoption programs, and generate excitement for volunteers new to Free Geek. Keep an eye out for announcements in the near future!<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
;Testing maintenance and development
 
: Advanced testing is running under the graces of a few very dedicated volunteers. In order for development and refinement of new procedures, more staff time will need to be allocated. Advanced testing has moved and is slowly rebuilding its infrastructure so it can be more mobile. Basic testing is part of the adoption program and volunteers test keyboards and mice. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 10:24, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
 
  
;[[Laptop]]
+
;Macintosh Build
: There is a healthy group of build graduates that have joined the Laptop build program. The laptops are dispersed as grants, and sold in the store. The laptop program has moved into its new space, which can accommodate many more people. [[User:Koopa|Koopa]] 10:25, 6 May 2008 (PDT) [[User:K7aay|K7aay]] 18:24, 21 May 2008 (PDT)
+
:Macland has been without dedicated Coordinator for a long time now, but those days are officially over with the hire of Cynthia Prevatte!  Our crack team of Mac Geeks have been diligently rebuilding Apple Systems, old and new, and helping push a broader range of gizmos into our Thrift StoreA new Spanish Mac Build shift is planned for the near future; keep your ears to the ground!<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
;retail sales
 
: Retail sales has been on a steady increase for the last 5 years. The store is currently staffed full time by staff, and day to day there is usually 2-3 volunteers helping out customers, testing various gizmos, and stocking the shelves. There have been some bumps starting the new year with a new POS system, but over all our accuracy in bookkeeping has never better. The store changed its layout and has a new intern: Jessica Rand.[[User:Koopa|Koopa]] 10:25, 6 May 2008 (PDT)
 
  
; Printer refurbishing and sales
+
; Printer Reuse
: The new Printer Archipelago is alive and kicking. We hired Ian to oversee it and to help with production in general. We're testing/refuribishing/recycling all kinds of stuff. The e-plastic harvest will be good this season.[[User:Koopa|Koopa]] 10:25, 6 May 2008 (PDT)
+
: Printer testing is done, almost exclusively by two excellent volunteer interns, for up to 8 hours/week. In the last 4 months of 2011, they processed about 150 good printers and scanners which were made available to the store and grants departments. We have been instructed that the store does not want anything that is large or without a USB connection. The grants department has provided us with direct access to their on-line wishlist. We have generated tested printers faster than Free Geek has been selling/granting them. Therefore, many good printers are being sold to bulk buyers (for reuse) or recycled. In 2011 we sold 73 tested printers, 764 untested printers (including multifunction) and maybe 100 scanners to bulk buyers. Our high supply-to-demand ratio means we do not generally spend much time trying to fix an imperfect printer. Printer testing involves checking to see if a device is currently working perfectly. Occasionally we will swap out ink/toner or clean the print head.   [[User:Jashcraft|Jashcraft]] 00:30, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
  
; Audio/Visual
+
; [[Prebuild]]
: We are creating a system for better internal reuse of these items. Normal A/V is running awesome. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 14:03, 19 December 2007 (PST)
+
:The end of 2011 saw Prebuild utterly swamped in systems, with the volunteer schedule filled out months in advance.  Things have started quieting down at the end of January, and our beloved NPAs helped to redesign the layout of our Research Station and Sorting Cart!  New and expanded documentation is enabling Mac desktops and Servers to be evaluated in PrebuildCynthia Prevatte, who is everywhere all of a sudden, is taking the lead as Prebuild's newest Coordinator, and making sure systems continue to flow through halls.
;Online Sales
+
:Spanish Prebuild and Hardware ID are happening thanks to our Spanish speaking staffers, Cynthia and Liliana! <br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
: Ebay sales are presently ongoing under the care of our Online Sales CoordinatorThe scope of online sales will include Craigslist. We are now working on setting up a class for those who are interested in learning how to sell on line. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 10:24, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
 
; locate, evaluation, and put oddball hardware into reuse
 
: This is done on a ad-hoc basis. The work is mostly being done by volunteers.
 
  
; wholesale or bulk sales of to-be-recycled parts
+
; Server Build
: Wholesale (or bulk) sales are surging ahead with new orders coming in. A few more hours of staff time allocated would make it less frenzied.
+
: Server Build is happening every Wednesday AM & PM with an additional 5th slot opened to address increased demand from volunteers.  Attendance has been sporadic, but production has been steadily climbing.  Unfortunately, there isn't yet a well-formed system for pricing Servers, and so our backstock has started piling up.  Thankfully, Brian Keefer, our new Sales Coordinator, is working on developing a new pricing metric and seeking alternative avenues for selling and/or disbursing them.
 +
:The Server Build area is set to be reorganized in the near future to better use what little space is available for the program. Additionally, Aradan Thompson, one of our Reuse/Sales Staff, is going to begin training in Server Build soon to increase available staff coverage and hopefully provide some useful insight for the Sales Department.
 +
:Server Build remains one of the best gateways for volunteer involvement in the Technocrats Committee and Cabling Parties.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
; Legacy Systems
 
: Legacy Systems is now fully integrated into the rebuild program. [[User:Matteo|Matteo]] 10:24, 11 March 2008 (PDT)
 
  
; [[Classic Gaming Library]]
+
; [[Hardware Grants]]
: It's being built! Yess! [[User:Laurel|Laurel]] 16:05, 30 April 2008 (PDT)
+
: Hardware Grants is currently under the purview of Production and is a Post-Build option which builders can apply for. Darren Heiber coordinates the volunteers and workers who help to shepherd grants through our system to get reused computers and other electronics out to folks who need them.  We currently have three grant shepherds and are looking to bring on two more. Hardware Grants is also currently looking at ways to reach out to more Portland-based organizations in an effort to ease the FG-PDX system overflow.
  
; Prebuild
+
== Sales ==
: Prebuild has moved to a location closer to receiving creating a better flow for the computers. We have started to get more corporate donations which means more identical systems, most of which are processed more easily.
+
: The store has exploded in terms of foot traffic since the economy has gone south.  Its not uncommon to see 20 people at a time now, and there are rarely times when it is empty.  On a recent Saturday, the store sold more than 50% more than the last geek fair (!). Production areas have really ramped up to get a wider range of tested gizmos in the store, which has helped.  Additionally, Free Geek has been more active in soliciting larger donations, increasing the amount of good stuff.  Unfortunately, many donors still remove hard drives from computers, so there is a persistent shortage of those goods.  Tony and Luiz are working on a merit badge system of volunteer training and retention and there are currently a half dozen volunteer interns helping out.  Oh, and it looks more and more like a store. [[User:Luiz|Luiz]] 21:56, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
 +
;Online Sales
 +
: Right now production needs and other, non-sales obligations have been keeping the Online Coord. from handling many sales. We're exploring an idea to create a new commission-based position in online sales on an exploratory basis. Check out the [[Online Sales Contractor Proposal]] for details. Discussion is on council list.
 +
; Bulk Sales (Wholesale)
 +
: We currently have established bulk buyers for telephone equipment, non-working flat panel TVs, surplus printers, scanners, ink-jet/toner cartridges and related accessories. Staff time for supporting bulk sales is currently extremely limited. Over the course of 2011 we saw an aproximate 100% increase in income from bulk sales, primarily due to increased staff attention and expanded offerings. There is interest in attracting additional bulk buyers and expanding the program further.  [[User:Jashcraft|Jashcraft]] 21:45, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
  
 
== Technocrats ==
 
== Technocrats ==
 +
Technocrats every Saturday at 4PM, either in the Meeting Room or on IRC (#freegeek on irc.freenode.org).
 +
 
;Liaison with Coders group
 
;Liaison with Coders group
: The coders group does not function (as a group). Recently, [[User:Stillflame | Martin]] finished a project to rework the entire database to the point of rollout. He continues to add features and hunt bugs, but we are using the new code. We will need to train a core of staff and volunteers to maintain this code during the next year, because Martin has asked for an extended sabbatical for the year 2008.  We are trying to reach out to other freegeeks to help maintain the code. -- [[User:MichaelWestwind|MW]] 10:29, 13 March 2007 (PDT) There are currently three to four volunteer coders -- [[User:MichaelWestwind|MW]] 10:48, 11 September 2007 (PDT)
+
: Currently Ryan Niebur is our chief coder and has made many improvements to the database and is working on more. The Technocrats are consistently pushing to only utilize internal services, rather than relying on things such as Google Docs, and Ryan has been quick to implement suggestions brought forward by the various committees in Free Geek.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
 
;liaison with ASS group
 
;liaison with ASS group
: The ASSes meet on the third tuesday of every monthMuch system administration work is actually being done by Martin on staff time. -- [[User:MichaelWestwind|MW]] 10:48, 11 September 2007 (PDT)
+
: The ASSes have officially been merged with the Tehcnocrats, and a cleanup of the wiki is in progress.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
 +
 
 +
;Selection of software commonly used at Free Geek
 +
: Darren Heiber is investigating updating our website's look and feel, possibly with some code borrowed from Free Geek ProvidenceWe've been using LimeSurvey for quite a while now with generally positive results.  More and more features and services are being offered internally, with a long-term goal of incorporating all Free Geek related waitlists and volunteer schedules in the FGDB.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
;selection of software commonly used at Free Geek
+
;Computer security
: We are looking at possible replacements for RT. Long ago we selected moodle as software that might work to maintain curriculum and tests for online classes. The [[Knowledge Bees]] are still determining whether we will actually use this.  Lessdisks has been replaced by LTSP, with a corresponding rework of our system imagingGizmo IDs have been ameliorated to only matter among the build teachers and students, and it is planned to "soon" remove the need for any paperwork in the build area. We are looking at Content Management Systems to replace our website. We are currently looking at replacing our current distro with gutsy, as well as changing our current distro installation process. -- [[User:MichaelWestwind|MW]] 10:48, 11 September 2007 (PDT)
+
: Our [[ASS]] group is always looking for ways to improve our securityNothing particular is bothering us at the moment, and we hope to keep it that way.  (Hear the sound of fingers crossing.)
  
;computer security
+
;Technical infrastructure
: Our [[ASS]] group is always looking for ways to improve our securityNothing particular is bothering us at the moment, and we hope to keep it that way.
+
: With the influx of fancy new server hardware coming through our doors and a spike in Server Build volunteers, most of our load-bearing systems have swapped out for nicer, newer stuff with a large stash of cold-swappable systems in the event of hardware failureThat is to say, it's better than it's ever been!
 +
: Nearly all servers are running Debian's current stable distribution, Squeeze.<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
;technical infrastructure
+
;Cabling parties
: The ASSes are implementing some technical options that might eventually reduce the physical number of machines needed in there. As it is, it is a bit crowded. We are in the process of updating our systems to have more recent software (debian etch). We also want to increase our bandwidth (or effective bandwidth for our most common tasks). -- [[User:MichaelWestwind|MW]] 10:48, 11 September 2007 (PDT)
+
:Cabling Party turnout has been fantastic in recent months!  A delegation of students from PSU's Computer Action Team have been swinging by regularly and offering their valuable skills. We've been regularly having two Cabling Parties a month, and have lots of progress to show for it. Among other things, almost ever run of cable in Free Geek is now clearly labelled and documented!! (SHOCK. AND. AWE.)<br>[[User:Scellef|Scellef]] 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
  
 
[[Category: Big Picture]]
 
[[Category: Big Picture]]
 
[[Category: C7]]
 
[[Category: C7]]

Latest revision as of 17:06, 13 August 2013

This page or section appears to be out of date or otherwise inaccurate.
Please edit as seems necessary, removing the {{cleanup}} tag when you are through.



This is a list of Free Geek programs and functions organized by the staff committee that is charged with their oversight. We are asking each committee or person responsible to post a brief description of the state of each program.

(For more information on each committee see the Standing Staff Committees page.)

NOTE: When updating a section, please sign your work with the "four squiggles" syntax (~~~~) so we can see when the item was last updated (and by whom).

Action

Recycling
Recycling is good and busy. A few volunteer interns have moved on after giving great support to the recycling operation, training volunteers, and learning about e-waste. Recycling staff is constantly looking for ways to improve income from recycling by better sorting of material, and identifying new items to disassemble.
Hardware Donations
Hardware Donations now has permanent staff, and improvements will be coming soon. HD has it's own meeting on the fourth Tuesday of every month to check in, train each other and discuss issues.
Building security
Some keys have changed to make it easier to track who has which key. No one has set off the alarm accidentally in a good while, as everyone is following procedures of using only the south door for entry.
General safety
Remember To Play Safe. Lift with your knees! Ask for help! Keep walkways free of clutter and trip hazards!

C7

Policy development
The "policy cleanup on the wiki" project is now in HR's basket.
load balancing of the committees
Some of the committees do not have enough people, and some committees function better than others.
liaison with Free Geek Community Council and Free Geek Board of Directors
Developing this page as a snapshot of information hopefully helps keep the council and board better informed about the state of things. Board members are coming to council meetings on a regular basis.
nominations to the various committees
huh?
proposals concerning changes to the committee structure itself
We had been thinking about ideas expressed in Multi-Collective Free Geek as a starting point for a possibly different committee structure. The conversation is up in the air right now.
accounting and financial oversight
We have moved to monthly reporting of quarterly budgets. We have reorganized the expense categories to mirror the committee structure, have recoded the last three years of income transactions, are working on better income projections based on that. We need to review policies about handling money from time to time. We need to educate the committees on how to spend money when they're not sure how ahead or behind they are vis a vis the budget.

HR

Human resources
We are preparing for the departure of Laurel, our Education Coordinator. We are drafting job descriptions and plan to begin hiring within the next couple of weeks! Laurel 18:56, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
employee manual
The Staff Handbook is on the wiki. It is more up-to-date than it's ever been!
Valerie 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
volunteer and staff discipline
The HR Committee is continuing to review the Volunteer Issues queue. We want Free Geek to be a safe and welcoming place to learn and to give back to the community, and we ask our volunteer to abide by our General Conduct Guidelines. Although Free Geek has a Volunteer Discipline Policy, we are still brainstorming ideas for a formal grievance policy and related procedures.
Valerie 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
procedures regarding theft from Free Geek
This is handled mostly by our Volunteer Discipline Policy. There have been a few incidents in the past that are still open.
mediation between conflicting parties
There haven't been any "conflicts" and our Ombuds(wo)men are happy and bored.
Staff Trainings
Board and staff are currently planning an In-Service. Staff can add training topics as they see fit on the page Winter/Spring 2012 Inservice Trainings. Alamb 19:39, 6 January 2012
Staff Reviews
The next reviews coming up are 6 months reviews for new collective members.
We continue to have ongoing discussions of how to make the review process the best it can be.
Valerie 21:56, 19 January 2011 (UTC)
health care and benefits packages
Staff members who work over 24 hours a week have health care (including alternative care such as naturopathy, dental, and vision). We have 3 plans available to us: a standard plan, a "high" pkan, and a POS plan to access providers outside the Kaiser network. Staff members that choose the"high" plan or the POS plan pay an additional cost. Some employees use other plans and are eligible to be reimbursed for most of their costs in lieu of taking our plan.

Education

(the committee formerly known as Knowledge Bees)

Education
Lots of education news at Free Geek: We were just awarded a $10,000 grant to renovate our classroom! Look for big changes in the next couple of months! Additionally, all classes are now free for all volunteers and community members. We have a whole host of new classes, which can be viewed on-line here: http://www.freegeek.org/about/education/.Laurel 23:15, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
Accessibility
There is a new group at Free Geek meeting to discuss accessibility to our programs. The group is working on specific job descriptions for each volunteer task at Free Geek, which will help assess the accessibility of the area and which accommodations are needed and possible. Laurel 15:14, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
Documentation
The new Lucid manual is installed on the desktop of each computer we build! Laurel 15:14, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
Technical Support
We recently hired Patrick Sullivan to help cover Tech Support and Advanced Testing.Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
City of Portland Computers
Our program, Plug into Portland, is off to a good start! We sent a letter to all schools that classify as low-income within the City of Portland, offering a free computer to any K-12 student that had completed 24 hours of volunteer work in the past year. In order to get the computer, students have to fill out this application (http://www.freegeek.org/plugintoportland) and attend a computer class at Free Geek.Laurel 23:15, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
Free Geek Library
The Library may be consolidated in the near future to see about better utilizing the space and expanding our Public Access Computer Lab. Long-time volunteer Tex has been taking reigns on making sure the Library is regularly sorted and culled, as there is currently no staff oversight of the area.Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Inreach

Inreach is working hard to make sure the front desk runs smoothly. We are also working on upping our volunteer appreciation ways and coming up with great new methods for thanking our wonderful volunteers. Inreach has implemented our new Volunteer Application, Volunteer Orientation Packet, Build Program Info sheet and Adoption Program Info sheet.

PR

Media Outreach & Relations
Darren is working with Portland Youth Media to arrange a partnership wherein PYM's participating youth will gain video making/editing experience by creating a video presentation chronicling our respective processes for recycling and refurbishing desktop systems. The video will be distributed on Youtube and other outlets, and incorporated into our planned info display at the donor desk.
Ads & Marketing
Our ReDirect Guide profile is currently offering a coupon for $25 off customers' next laptop purchase.
Free Geek website
We have reconvened the website admin working group (ewbadmin@lists.freegeek.org) to maintain the website in partnership with Technocrats, and continue researching ways we can update the website to be more customizable and usable for data analysis. The working group is meeting during PR meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month.
Tabling Events and Networking with other organizations
We are actively promoting Youth Empowerment Action's summer camp program with fliers and posters around the building, as well as hits to social media.
We were placed in the Nonprofit Pavilion for OSCON 2012 and are working on scheduling tabling shifts as well as working out shared use of the complimentary conference pass. Know a volunteer who may want to table with us at this and other public events? Send them our way!
State of the Committee
We recently welcomed new PR member James Pella, who is working on helping us develop a strategic plan for social media.
Re: installing an informational LCD display at the Donor Desk - Plans are in progress for content to be included in the display; visit the wiki page

(http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Donor_Desk_Development) to see the content outline we've developed and suggest any changes on the discussion page.

Events

FG Events
The 2011 Free Geek Holiday Party went off without a hitch thanks to our fantastic NPAs! Approximately 40 people turned out to spread a little holiday cheer around the Meeting Room and Library, with some delicious potluck foods.

Propagation

Liaison with Free Geek startups (the replication of Free Geek elsewhere)
Free Geek Twin Cities opened its doors on Saturday, October 17, and received good press coverage. Dave visited Free Geek Vancouver, and we will be hosting guests from FGV here in the near future. RfS 00:56, 22 October 2009 (UTC)
liaison with GAP volunteers
GAP has been functionally nonexistent for a while.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Production (Reuse Programs)

Build Program
The Build program continues to flourish, and shifts are filled up at least a week in advance. Laptop QCs were introduced into Desktop Build late last year and have helped to push our Laptop production higher than its ever been. We recently hired Omar Vargas as our Spanish Outreach Coordinator to help develop our Spanish Build & Prebuild shifts, with sights set on a Spanish Mac Build in the near future.
Freekbox specs have risen yet again! RAM and desktop HDD supplies have been piling high, which means Freekboxes are more powerful than ever. Additionally, Build and Adoption volunteers are now taking home LCD monitors!
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Advanced Testing
With the departure of everyone's favorite Reuse Coordinator, Meredith Blankinship, AT is currently under the temporary stewardship of Cynthia Prevatte; our newest Reuse Coordinator. Additionally, our newest hire Patrick Sullivan is helping to oversee AT and Tech Support! Be sure to give him a high-five when you see him!
Volunteer and intern numbers have been dwindling in recent months, so AT is actively looking for Post-Builders excited about the gizmos inside and out of the Box.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Laptop Build
Laptops has been seeing record high numbers of donations in recent months, and production is higher than its ever been. A steady stream of dedicated volunteers have been filling out our shifts (currently Tuesday through Friday, AM & PM) and learning the ropes in what it takes to pull apart and piece together lappies. There is still a limited number of staff trained in running the area, which means shift cancellations occur whenever a staff member calls in sick (as seen in December 2011).
A new Laptop Eval program is currently under development to offer a third alternative to the Build and Adoption programs, and generate excitement for volunteers new to Free Geek. Keep an eye out for announcements in the near future!
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)


Macintosh Build
Macland has been without dedicated Coordinator for a long time now, but those days are officially over with the hire of Cynthia Prevatte! Our crack team of Mac Geeks have been diligently rebuilding Apple Systems, old and new, and helping push a broader range of gizmos into our Thrift Store. A new Spanish Mac Build shift is planned for the near future; keep your ears to the ground!
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Printer Reuse
Printer testing is done, almost exclusively by two excellent volunteer interns, for up to 8 hours/week. In the last 4 months of 2011, they processed about 150 good printers and scanners which were made available to the store and grants departments. We have been instructed that the store does not want anything that is large or without a USB connection. The grants department has provided us with direct access to their on-line wishlist. We have generated tested printers faster than Free Geek has been selling/granting them. Therefore, many good printers are being sold to bulk buyers (for reuse) or recycled. In 2011 we sold 73 tested printers, 764 untested printers (including multifunction) and maybe 100 scanners to bulk buyers. Our high supply-to-demand ratio means we do not generally spend much time trying to fix an imperfect printer. Printer testing involves checking to see if a device is currently working perfectly. Occasionally we will swap out ink/toner or clean the print head. Jashcraft 00:30, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
Prebuild
The end of 2011 saw Prebuild utterly swamped in systems, with the volunteer schedule filled out months in advance. Things have started quieting down at the end of January, and our beloved NPAs helped to redesign the layout of our Research Station and Sorting Cart! New and expanded documentation is enabling Mac desktops and Servers to be evaluated in Prebuild. Cynthia Prevatte, who is everywhere all of a sudden, is taking the lead as Prebuild's newest Coordinator, and making sure systems continue to flow through halls.
Spanish Prebuild and Hardware ID are happening thanks to our Spanish speaking staffers, Cynthia and Liliana!
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Server Build
Server Build is happening every Wednesday AM & PM with an additional 5th slot opened to address increased demand from volunteers. Attendance has been sporadic, but production has been steadily climbing. Unfortunately, there isn't yet a well-formed system for pricing Servers, and so our backstock has started piling up. Thankfully, Brian Keefer, our new Sales Coordinator, is working on developing a new pricing metric and seeking alternative avenues for selling and/or disbursing them.
The Server Build area is set to be reorganized in the near future to better use what little space is available for the program. Additionally, Aradan Thompson, one of our Reuse/Sales Staff, is going to begin training in Server Build soon to increase available staff coverage and hopefully provide some useful insight for the Sales Department.
Server Build remains one of the best gateways for volunteer involvement in the Technocrats Committee and Cabling Parties.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)


Hardware Grants
Hardware Grants is currently under the purview of Production and is a Post-Build option which builders can apply for. Darren Heiber coordinates the volunteers and workers who help to shepherd grants through our system to get reused computers and other electronics out to folks who need them. We currently have three grant shepherds and are looking to bring on two more. Hardware Grants is also currently looking at ways to reach out to more Portland-based organizations in an effort to ease the FG-PDX system overflow.

Sales

The store has exploded in terms of foot traffic since the economy has gone south. Its not uncommon to see 20 people at a time now, and there are rarely times when it is empty. On a recent Saturday, the store sold more than 50% more than the last geek fair (!). Production areas have really ramped up to get a wider range of tested gizmos in the store, which has helped. Additionally, Free Geek has been more active in soliciting larger donations, increasing the amount of good stuff. Unfortunately, many donors still remove hard drives from computers, so there is a persistent shortage of those goods. Tony and Luiz are working on a merit badge system of volunteer training and retention and there are currently a half dozen volunteer interns helping out. Oh, and it looks more and more like a store. Luiz 21:56, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
Online Sales
Right now production needs and other, non-sales obligations have been keeping the Online Coord. from handling many sales. We're exploring an idea to create a new commission-based position in online sales on an exploratory basis. Check out the Online Sales Contractor Proposal for details. Discussion is on council list.
Bulk Sales (Wholesale)
We currently have established bulk buyers for telephone equipment, non-working flat panel TVs, surplus printers, scanners, ink-jet/toner cartridges and related accessories. Staff time for supporting bulk sales is currently extremely limited. Over the course of 2011 we saw an aproximate 100% increase in income from bulk sales, primarily due to increased staff attention and expanded offerings. There is interest in attracting additional bulk buyers and expanding the program further. Jashcraft 21:45, 9 January 2012 (UTC)

Technocrats

Technocrats every Saturday at 4PM, either in the Meeting Room or on IRC (#freegeek on irc.freenode.org).

Liaison with Coders group
Currently Ryan Niebur is our chief coder and has made many improvements to the database and is working on more. The Technocrats are consistently pushing to only utilize internal services, rather than relying on things such as Google Docs, and Ryan has been quick to implement suggestions brought forward by the various committees in Free Geek.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
liaison with ASS group
The ASSes have officially been merged with the Tehcnocrats, and a cleanup of the wiki is in progress.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Selection of software commonly used at Free Geek
Darren Heiber is investigating updating our website's look and feel, possibly with some code borrowed from Free Geek Providence. We've been using LimeSurvey for quite a while now with generally positive results. More and more features and services are being offered internally, with a long-term goal of incorporating all Free Geek related waitlists and volunteer schedules in the FGDB.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Computer security
Our ASS group is always looking for ways to improve our security. Nothing particular is bothering us at the moment, and we hope to keep it that way. (Hear the sound of fingers crossing.)
Technical infrastructure
With the influx of fancy new server hardware coming through our doors and a spike in Server Build volunteers, most of our load-bearing systems have swapped out for nicer, newer stuff with a large stash of cold-swappable systems in the event of hardware failure. That is to say, it's better than it's ever been!
Nearly all servers are running Debian's current stable distribution, Squeeze.
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Cabling parties
Cabling Party turnout has been fantastic in recent months! A delegation of students from PSU's Computer Action Team have been swinging by regularly and offering their valuable skills. We've been regularly having two Cabling Parties a month, and have lots of progress to show for it. Among other things, almost ever run of cable in Free Geek is now clearly labelled and documented!! (SHOCK. AND. AWE.)
Scellef 01:17, 1 February 2012 (UTC)