Tech Support (PPS)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Program Name: Tech Support
- Program Description:
- Adopters of freegeek computers are offered one year of free tech support, up to and including replacement of the box and associated hardware, provided that the original operating system is left on the box. Grant boxes have a similar level of support. Store boxes are supported to a limited extent. The first issue is free, subsequent issues require payment, and parts are not included.
- The tech support program also provides end user and low level support for the internal network at freegeek.
- What best describes this program?
- Primarily meets program needs (expected to cost more money than it makes)
- Why does Free Geek need this program?
- The primary purpose of tech support is to make sure the adopters are able to use the freekboxen and linux os for the basic intended purpose, word processing, email, web browsing, etc. Most adopters have little or no previous linux (or computer) experience, and providing this support makes sure that the adoption program fulfills its mission. The freekboxen are also built of used parts and providing tech support makes sure that hardware failures do not stand in the way of the boxes being usable.
Job Position Basics
- Would there be a dedicated staff position associated with this program? YES
- Position Title: Tech Support Coordinator
- Job Description:
Costs and potential costs
- What are the expected financial staffing costs of the program? (Include all costs to the organization such as salary, payroll taxes, and benefits.)
.5 ft staff member
- What other costs are associated with the program? (Include costs of materials needed, etc.)
dedicated office space
- If there will be a dedicated staff position, how much time would be needed for training?
none at this point
- Once the program is up and running how many staff how many hours per week would it take?
- In paid staff time? 20 hours/week (Currently dedicated time is 12 hours, but there is always supporting time which is necessary. I am not counting hours the Tech Support Coordinator is spending on other tasks.
- In volunteer time? 3-12 hours/week
- Outline the intangible costs for the position and program:
- Are there any possible negative impacts on Free Geek's mission, and if so what?
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions currently in effect?
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions being considered?
- Would the program generate income? YES / NO @
- If yes, how much income would be expected once the program is up and running? $ @ / month
- If yes, how long would it take for the program to get to that point? @
- How does the program support the mission of Free Geek?
- How can the success of the program be measured?
- For most income generating positions, the costs initially outweigh the benefits. If this is an income generating program, how long until it is expected to break even?
- Outline a plan for implementing the program: