Tech Support Intake Guidelines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This document is intended to clarify procedures and policies in handling returns and donations through Tech Support.
- The laptop was purchased from the Thrift Store and is in warranty:
- Tech Support staff writes Store Credit Form, gives it to user.
- User takes store credit slip to Thrift Store where return is entered in the database (including System ID) and actual credit is issued.
- Tech Support removes hard drive from laptop, labels it with an RT number, retains it for data recovery and/or 45 day cooldown.
- Tech Support applies completed Tech Support to Build form to returned laptop, then delivers it to the Store & Internal Returns shelf (above primary incoming shelf) in front Laptops closet.
- The laptop was granted and is in warranty:
- Tech Support obtains a replacement grant laptop and disburses it as a replacement to the same contact/organization that the failed laptop was disbursed to; replacement can either be turned over to the user immediately or retained for data transfer if desired.
- Tech Support removes hard drive from failed laptop, labels it with RT number, retains it for data recovery and/or 45 day cooldown.
- Tech Support enters failed laptop as a return in the database, then applies completed Tech Support to Build form to returned laptop and delivers it to Store & Internal Returns shelf (above primary incoming shelf) in front Laptops closet.
- The laptop was purchased or granted and is out of warranty:
- User is given the opportunity to retain the laptop in its present condition.
- If the user does not want to retain the laptop or have data recovered from it then Tech Support returns the laptop to the user so they may donate it via standard Receiving process.
- If the user requests data recovery then Tech Support retains the laptop and performs data recovery, then removes, labels, and stores the hard drive for a 45 day cooldown. When the user returns to pick up their data the laptop should also be returned to them so they can donate it via standard Receiving process.
- If the user is not present and will not be returning to pick up recovered data then Tech Support should remove the laptop's hard drive, label it with an RT number to be retained for 45 days, then take the laptop to Receiving and have it entered as a donation on the user's behalf.