Tech Support Orientation (for Admins/Staff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Perhaps they can start by checking out this [howto?]
General Support Guidelines
- Who's covered and who is not
- What's covered and what's not (link)
- When its okay to go above and beyond
- Adopters are highest priority, followed by grantees, followed by store customers
- If you choose to go above and beyond, the most important rule is that you make it clear that you are making an exception and that this will likely not happen again (don't throw other techs under the bus).
- When to charge people
- Always charge when out of warranty for anything other than a parts install
- You can leave charging folks to the coordinator, if you are uncomfortable.
Lists, RT, and Database
- RT -- This is the main one all support techs must have. Generally by the time a tech starts, his or her email is already in RT as a user. Find the email, change the username from the email to something suitable, give the account privileges, have the tech put in a password. Then once the account is privileged, add it to the fgcore group.
- Wiki -- Techs need a wiki account because part of their job is to update the Tech support knowledge base.
- Application server -- This allows them to log in to their own account on the terminals, and provides a place for them to store files.
- Database -- Minimal use to a tech now because of weak access. I don't bother getting techs database logins anymore.Luiz 19:44, 4 November 2010 (UTC) Find the techs volunteer contact info and edit it, check "Can login", check "tech support" and have the tech fill out a username, email and password. If the tech is not in the database yet, create the contact and save it before trying to set up the login, do not try to do it all in one step.
- This is how you do it, do it
- This will be a party
Procedure for Phone Calls
- When acquired?
- Where acquired?
- RT ticket made
Intake Procedure for Drop Offs and Others
- Intake Form
- RT ticket
- Place on shelf with form
Hard Drives with No Home
Any hard drive floating around without some clear explanation of its purpose is to be handed to a key holder immediately.
Mean or Unreasonable People
- Cadets don't have to deal with them. That's what the coordinators are for.