All laptops sold or given away by Free Geek must have a working wired internet connection and must be able to browse to a website wirelessly.
Test wired internet connection
☐ Plug in an ethernet cable from the bench.
- Watch the desktop panel, top right corner. You should see a ↑↓ symbol appear.
☐ Open a web browser (Xubuntu 12.04 uses Firefox by default) and navigate to a website, such as
- Try a different cable. The workbench ethernet cables see a lot of use. If you do find a faulty cable, please notify an instructor so they can promptly replace it.
- Check to see if the up lights are flashing on the LAN port. No lights may indicate a failed port.
- Open a terminal and run
ifconfig. Have your instructor help you interpret the results.
Test wireless internet connection
☐ Test wireless
- Disconnect the ethernet cable.
- Click on the WiFi symbol to select the FreeGeek network.
- Load a website in Firefox. Pick a different site than you used for the wired networking test, such as
☐ If you run into issues, reference the Wireless Troubleshooting Guide (A-5) in the binder Appendix.