Training for the front desk
This template should be copied to a new page each time there is a new staff person or core volunteer wanting to learn the front desk.
This can be used as a checklist for orienting front desk interns. To check off a subject that has been covered just initial it with four ~ in a row.
- Mary Kate
- How to utilize articles under the Front Desk category.
- Answering the phone Renee 20:59, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Checking the checks Renee 21:01, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Data Entry Renee 23:09, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
- Donation ReceiptRenee 21:02, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Email lists Renee 22:44, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- FAQ for phone call response Renee 21:08, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Free Geek FAQ Renee 23:44, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Front Desk Renee 22:45, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- Handling Corporate Donations at Receiving Renee 22:34, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- Information on how to get tech support Renee 23:42, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Invoicing Donors Renee 23:09, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
- Opening and closing out the till Renee 23:48, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Phone System Howto Renee 23:48, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Printing from the Front Desk Renee 23:46, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Processing Monetary Donations Renee 23:47, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Receiving Calendar Renee 23:10, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
- Regularly Scheduled Tour Guides Renee 23:46, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
- Reimbursement for mileage Renee 22:07, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- Sick Friend Letters Renee 22:16, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- Volunteer Cashiers Policy Renee 22:26, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
- How to edit and create wiki pagesRenee 22:27, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
Beyond the wiki: the rest of these tasks will be taught hands on
This is also a checklist
- Phone functions, paging and transferring calls.
- Checking the messages:
- Front Desk mailbox.
- General mailbox.
- Q-west mailbox.
- Build (explain terms such as pre-build and build workshop, self scheduling for build workshop volunteers, ect.)
- Adoption (group scheduling, one person per line, ect.)
- Receiving calendar.
Recording things in the database
- Recycling Systems-eval tally sheets
-Printing from Deadtrees.
Cashing out and counting till and other tillish stuff
- Pre-opening till count and paperwork.
- Closing till count.
- Searching for mistakes.
- Credit Card machine.
- IOUs and Reimbursements.
Email-Lists public and private
website extensions for applications such as www.freegeek.org
- Build Status Sheets.
- Borrow Book.
Signing up Volunteers after tour
- Processing community service volunteers (Mult Co Court and others)
It is also important to orient people with the organization and culture of Free Geek. A few ways of doing this are:
- Introduce the new intern or volunteer to everyone and explain what it is that each staff member or core volunteer does.
- Explain the unique structure of Free Geek including the role of council, the board, staff and committees.
- Communication-what is the particular norm for different groups relaying information
- Making reminder calls
- Room use calendar,