Website Maintenance Tips
We're using Wordpress v2.5. For documentation on Wordpress, go to http://codex.wordpress.org/
- If you're already logged in and want to edit the site, go to http://freegeek.org/wp-admin/
- You must double-click on links to allow you to edit them (don't just click and drag to highlight)
- If you'd like to create something like this:
<p>Title<br /> Some awesome defining stuff.</p>
You'll need to find a work-around, because the visual editor won't do this: instead, it'll create 2 paragraphs, which will make a space between the 2 lines. Instead, use the html editor, or use the "paste from text" or "paste from word document" functions. Or take this tendency (often used in our links pages and old news and media pages) out of our website completely and figure out some new formatting for it.
- Wordpress also doesn't like line breaks. If you want to use them, use the html editor.
- "Keep private" checkbox means that only those with editing logins will be able to see the page
- "Include this page in user menus" checkbox will make the page title show in the main nav or sub-nav bars. The site is only set up to show 2 menu levels, so if you're looking at a 3rd-level page like /about/contact/directions and you check this box, you'll break the nav.
- If you ever do want to show a 3rd level menu, you should consider turning the sidebar menu back on and configuring it as you'd like.
- Wordpress doesn't like to comment things out. Eeep.
- On pages like the staff page or the board page, where there's a short amount of text and pics to go with each piece of text, I've inserted
<br clear="all">in the html after each person's listing. It doesn't show up in the html view when you edit, though. If things get screwy, re-enter those tags.
- Multimedia Gallery/Lightbox: this gallery is controlled by a plugin called Shutter Reloaded. It can be configured by going to Settings -> Shutter Reloaded in the admin area.
- Can be uploaded from any page
- Click on "Add Images" above the text editing box on the page you'd like to edit
- If you want to upload an image, do it there
- If you want to add an image from the media library, click on that tab. Choose the image you'd like, and set the title, where you want it on the page (right, left, center) and the size. If you want a big image on the page, best to pick "full size". If you choose medium or thumbnail and try to increase the size in the visual editor, the image will become pixelated.
- Once the image is on the page in the visual editor, be sure to use one of the left, center, or right justify buttons at the top of the editing box if you want the image to sit within the paragraph text. Otherwise, it'll float above or below it.
- Where the images (and other uploads) are saved: this is useful to know if you want to link a photo to a "hidden" photo behind it (like on the staff page). They're kept in directories sorted by date: /wp-content/freegeek-uploads/<year>/<month>/<filename>. Look in the media library listing for the photo you want hidden to find its specific URL.
Here's a summary of user roles:
- Administrator - Somebody who has access to all the administration features
- Editor - Somebody who can publish posts, manage posts as well as manage other people's posts, etc.
- Author - Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts
- Contributor - Somebody who can write and manage their posts but not publish posts
- Subscriber - Somebody who can read comments/comment/receive news letters, etc.
For more info, go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities