- Program Name: Wholesale/Bulksales Program
- Program Description:
- Wholesale/Bulksales Program is needed to deal with good functioning hardware and materials that are in excess of the needs of the Build Program, Infrastructure, or the Thrift Store.
- What best describes this program? @
- Primarily income generating (expected to make money for Free Geek)
- Why does Free Geek need this program?
- This program will bolster Free Geek's Reuse before Recycling philosophy.
- Currently, when we have an overabundance of a specific item, our only recourse is to recycle it. The Wholesale Program could actively seek out outlets for such items that could generate revenue for Free Geek.
Job Position Basics
- Would there be a dedicated staff position associated with this program? YES / NO @
- It is hard to say, currently it falls under the pervue of Production/Reuse.
- It does take time and energy, but can be farmed out to other organizations.
Costs and potential costs
- What are the expected financial staffing costs of the program? (Include all costs to the organization such as salary, payroll taxes, and benefits.)
- 20-30 staff hours a week
- What other costs are associated with the program? (Include costs of materials needed, etc.)
- The joy of bulk sales is that most of the items are already processed through current channels, but left with nowhere to go, so not a lot of extra work needs to be done in procuring items.
- It is a staff heavy job, as one needs to contact and communicate and maintain relationships with outside organizations. Shipping should be payed for by the buyer, and we can scrounge most packaging materials
- If there will be a dedicated staff position, how much time would be needed for training?
- A person needs to look at what is building up and try to imagine it somewhere that is not recycling.
- Outline the intangible costs for the position and program:
- Are there any possible negative impacts on Free Geek's mission, and if so what?
- Not as long as we just sell the left-overs
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions currently in effect?
- It will make more space to move around in
- How will this program affect other programs and staff positions being considered?
- It will make money to hire them
- Would the program generate income? YES
- If yes, how much income would be expected once the program is up and running?
- $3000-$4000 / month for starters (eehh, is this number real? imaginary, or post imaginary?)
- If yes, how long would it take for the program to get to that point?
- it already is
- How does the program support the mission of Free Geek?
- It pushes reuse over recycling. It allows people to get usefull hardware at a fraction of its original cost.
- 100 identical PCI Sound Cards for $50 is a good deal.
- How can the success of the program be measured?
- By how much money it is bringing in.
- For most income generating positions, the costs initially outweigh the benefits. *If this is an income generating program, how long until it is expected to break even?
- It is already as far as time-spent-per-bulk-sale:money-taken-in
- Outline a plan for implementing the program:
- See that pile? Sell it!
- Get other organizations involved to offload the time consuming aspects such as listing items and shipping.
- The things we have are valuable, people will sell it for us for a fee.
- This job will have considerable overlap with the testing/advanced testing person (they could even be the same person)