Checklist for Trademark Application
This page has been requested to be deleted.
During the process of becoming a full Free Geek there are several points where we will want to review a general checklist to track whether the applicant is actually making progress towards being an actual Free Geek (and not something else). This is a stab at that type of checklist, based on issues already seen in the application process, and coming from a brainstorm in an IRC meeting sometime in 2008.
This checklist should be viewed in the context of the Free Geek Principles.
- Knows what other community resources are available to them
- Has built relationships with other community organizations
- Gives away free computers
- Practices transparency (how?)
- Demonstrates an awareness of environmental issues surrounding ewaste
- Can install and configure free and open source software
- Can educate about and support free and open source software
- Has developed transparent processes
- Participates on email lists in a transparent way.
- Has transparent meeting minutes
- Has transparent documentation of operational procedures
- Has usable contact information
- Basic democracy in the organization
- Allows open participation.
- Demonstrates an understanding of non-hierarchical structures
- Practices good communication skills internally.
- Practices good communication skills with Intergalactic.
- Volunteer recruitment
- Has a pool of core volunteers with a demonstrated long term commitment
- Has enough volunteers
- Has a diversity of volunteer skill sets
- Seems generally cooperative with us and with each other.
- Basic competency in running a nonprofit
- Understands that organization does not "serve the shareholders" but rather the community
- Understands the process for gaining nonprofit status (as legally defined in their location)
- Mission statement and core activities support the common good
- Basic financial reports are available to other free geeks and/or the public
- Follows honest business practices
- Exercises due diligence in selecting vendors
- Keeps track of finances and can produce accurate reports