These are my notes for a class in diskless architecture and lessdisks. 192.168.7.47 16:37, 29 Jul 2005 (PDT)
How Do Diskless Terminals Work?
- Booting over Ethernet (etherboot, on nic roms, on card roms, PXE)
- DHCP can offer a kernel location
- Network Bootloaders (Network Bootable grub)
- scripts to ask for root over NFS, setup root environment rw/ro/network
- XDMCP / X server on client, logging in on server
What are the differences between LTSP and Lessdisks?
- debian chroot environment
- lessdisks has virtual terminals (gettys) by default
- LTSP has X over XDM/GDM/KDM by default
- tftp+nfs vs nfs
sdm vs gdm/kdm/xdm
- setup to talk to multiple machines
- anonymous login and how it works