2012 Website Redesign
This page was created to start collecting information for a website redesign, as proposed by the PR Committee.
New and Improved Features/Structure
- "Free Geek in the Media" page with links to media features, flexible archival settings
- Option whether or not to post new page content in that page's category page feed (e.g. option not to include Media posts in main News feed)
- "Large Donors/Partners" page listing individual donations over a certain amount, institutional and in-kind donors, corporate logos?
- Newsletter sign-up button
- Streaming Twitter/Facebook feed
- Seperate pages for institutional and individual donors
- Bold donate button on front page
- Address and hours on front page (and footer of every page).
- Links to wiki, possibly other outward facing services
- "Digital Tour": Area highlights w/ photos, more expository descriptions
- Integrate Inreach programs (e.g., Star Volunteers, Events, etc)
- Must be mobile-friendly!
- Presence for current certifications
- Incorporate Spanish pages (or...whole separate Spanish website).
- RSS feed
- Photo area (Flickr account link?)
- Header on every page: Logo, Hours/Location/Phone, Link to directions, Social Media Buttons
- Footer on every page: Text Navigation and Search bar
- No Blog looking content, except on community news page
- Full articles on community news page.
- Currents news on Home page with fully flexible posting options
- Easy/quick for staff and volunteers to maintain
- Admin: pretty easy to learn to administer, easy to add users and privileges, easy to make new pages, easy to change layout of old pages
- Accessible in Debian (for server hosting)
- Analytics to view click-throughs to individual posts, and internal navigation between individual pages and posts
- Quick loading for dial-up users
- More cohesive method/procedure to maintain site
- Ability to integrate with RT
- Ideal: site that can produce static pages without having to send them to a database for backup
- Press area expanded to include links to FG in the news, articles, FG YouTube page, link to reddit?
- Corporate hardware donor and Financial donor thanks page
- Friends/Partners links
- Links to other Free Geeks and similar organizations
- Harmful stuff in computers page
- Photo area
- Map images with links - Google, Trimet, Bicycle
- More prominent hours, location, phone number on front page
- Little to no scroll on front page
- Keep current Logo (Remove pictures and just use the Free Geek logo), Choose colors/fonts that flow nicely from the logo.
- Muted colors, New Scheme (Green ?), Fading colors/gradients
- Front page has link to Spanish Program Info page listing hours, Spanish tour times, basic descriptions of Build and Adoption in Spanish
- Open Source
- Global, diverse, accessible
- Comfortable with change
- Community Resource
- Cooperative Learning
Current Website Issues
- Busy (Make new site Clean)
- Dated (Make new site Modern)
- Constrained (Make new site Flexible)
- Intelligent and fun (writing style)
- Some elements are easy to use (Build on this)