Adoption Class Teaching Internship
Job Title: Adoption Class Teaching Internship
- Teach students of varying experience and ability basic computer skills
- Gather computers and peripherals for each student in the class
- Teach students a small amount about history of GNU/Linux and Free Software
- Answer questions asked during class
- Inform students about their options for tech support
- Work with Build Program volunteers and instructors to solve tech support issues before the computers go out
- Clear out the classroom after classes
- Complete a small amount of paperwork (equipment checkout)
- Knowledge of basic computer use
- A high level of patience
- An interest in teaching people from a range of backgrounds
- A desire to work with people
- Willingness to learn about GNU/Linux
- Ability to lift a CRT monitor (up to 30 pounds)
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress and maintain a positive attitude in a relatively chaotic setting. The candidate will not be afraid to ask questions, but will be able to work on projects with minimal supervision. The candidate will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
This position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable job skills, make a difference for people and the environment, and make connections in the community. Active volunteers are eligible to receive a 20% discount on items in the Free Geek Thrift Store and to become a member of the First Tech Credit Union. Free Geek also offers free computer classes to volunteers. In addition, interns can choose to receive a free computer after volunteering 24 hours in our internship program.
Please fill out our interest form, and we'll get back to you soon.