Checking the checks
There are several common errors that people make when writing us a check. Please follow this procedure whenever taking a check at Free Geek:
- Is it made out to Free Geek? (It should be)
- Does it have a date on it? (It should be today's date.)
- (People make a lot of mistakes, especially at the beginning of a new year.)
- Do not accept post-dated checks.
- Is the amount correct (check both the numbers and the written out version).
- Check the person's ID.
- Check the name. Are they who they say they are?
- Write the ODL number or whatever on the check.
- Verify signature
- Record the receipt number:
- If you're at the Front Desk write FD on all checks. Add the number of the invoice or receipt if you have one.
- If you're in the Thrift Store write TS on all checks. Add the number of the sales receipt if you have one.
- If you don't have a receipt, write FD or TS anyway.
- Endorse the check. (Both the front desk and the thrift store have an endorsement stamp.)
- Do not accept starter checks. These are checks that do not have an address on them and usually have check numbers with 3 digits instead of 4.
- If you accept a check for any transaction, always record the customer's name and address in the database. This makes tracking down problem checks easier. (Repeat customers and volunteers should already be in there.)