If you're a keyholder for a group that uses Free Geek for meetings, please see the section at the bottom of this page entitled "Closing for Meetings".
Standard staff closing considerations/tasks
- Collect tills (donor desk and store) and lost and found items and store securely in Escape Hatch
- Remove open food from kitchen, fill and run dishwasher (if not previously handled by volunteers/staff)
- Turn off all monitors (except servers)
- Ensure no one is hiding in bathrooms
- Keep an eye out for loose hard drives (esp. laptops) and dishes (esp. w/ food) in random places
Door locks to check:
- All external doors (Warehouse x3, Receiving, Donor Desk, Store, bike room)
- Internal doors: Mezzanine, servers x2, store x2, laptops x3, warehouse, tech support
Lights to turn/leave on (all others go off):
- Light by volunteer desk (on the wall), light in Macland, lights in the cage
Miscellaneous items to check:
- Volunteer chairs should be off sidewalk
- Bring in smokers' oasis
- Hard drives in Laptops & Macland
Closing for Meetings:
- When your members arrive, make sure they know where the restrooms and kitchen are. Ask them only to use those areas and the meeting room.
- When you're ready to leave, make sure everyone else is out of the building before.
- If Free Geek staff or cleaning crew are still in the building, let them know that you're leaving and skip the steps below.
- Turn off lights & fans in restrooms.
- Turn off lights in Library / Internet room (just outside kitchen).
- Make sure external door near alarm pad is closed.
- Arm the alarm by puching in your code. You now have 30 secs to make sure the door is closed behind you (plenty of time).
- Turn off the lights in hall on your way out (left side of hall).
- Exit the door and make sure it latches behind you.