Distro Volunteer Intern
Job Title: Distro Intern
- Attend and participate in Distro Committee meetings,
- Collaborate with Free Geek Staff and other Distro Interns via e-mail lists and RT,
- Keeping Free Geek volunteers' needs in mind:
- Perform usability QA
- Identify current bugs in Ubuntu 10.04, and determine existence in other versions/distros
- Write bug reports and, if possible, create bug fixes
- Develop specifications for hardware and software in candidate distribution
- Test candidate distribution across various kinds of hardware
- Draft updated documentation for use in Free Geek's Tech Support, Build, and Education programs
- Gather and research list of known issues
- Experience with basic troubleshooting
- Experience using and configuring Linux
- Familiarity with bug tracking and ticketing systems
- Technical aptitude
- Usability QA experience or the desire to learn
- Understanding of how inexperienced users interact with computers
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress and maintain a positive attitude in a relatively chaotic setting. The candidate will not be afraid to ask questions, but will be able to work on projects with minimal supervision. The candidate will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
This position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable job skills, make a difference for people and the environment, and make connections in the community. Active volunteers are eligible to receive a 20% discount on items in the Free Geek Thrift Store and to become a member of the First Tech Credit Union. Free Geek also offers free computer classes to volunteers. In addition, interns can choose to receive a free computer after volunteering 24 hours in our internship program.
Please fill out our interest form, and we'll get back to you soon.