Expectations for All Paid Workers
This page applies to all paid employees of Free Geek.
General Good Worker Expectations
- All workers are required to report all the hours that they work.
- Puts the interests of Free Geek before personal interests while working.
- Adheres to all Free Geek guidelines and policies.
- Communicates effectively (i.e. specific communication with other staff/core concerning needs of his/her area, giving and receiving constructive criticism, communicating directly to solve conflict, offering a safe space to communicate if issues arise.) - this might be a lot. (works to solve conflict, asks for staff help when necessary)
- Appropriately uses the standard tools Free Geek has available to do her/his job. (These tools might include email lists, RT, the wiki, bulletin boards, etc.)
- Has basic computer knowledge (use of web browser, email and word processor, database and spreadsheet).
- Is able to work in an informal environment with a diverse staff while maintaining a positive attitude even in the face of adversity.
- Is able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
- Is able to work well under stress in an unusual, somewhat chaotic setting while being courteous and friendly.
- Is self-motivated and able to multi-task (i.e., can supervise, organize and maintain an area and work on other projects (while maintaining awareness of volunteer needs) almost entirely without supervision) but not afraid to ask questions.
- Is aware of safety on the job.
- Fulfills job description.
- Treats co-workers and volunteers with courtesy and respect (i.e., arrive on time or call if going to be late, be efficient and make good use of time, use the phone, socialize and take breaks at appropriate times).
Volunteer Management / Coordination
- Leaves volunteer-inhabited areas clean and ready for next shift.
- Makes volunteers and donors feel welcome, actively reaches out.
- Actively involves volunteers in appropriate projects.
- Listens to volunteers/donors and tries to meet their needs.
- Is a volunteer coordinator.
- Is patient and courteous with the public.
- Is able to work with and coordinate volunteers with a wide range of skills and experience.