Free Geek Vancouver Old
(This is an experiment in drafting a Constitution using a wiki. Before you edit anything here please read through the Free Geek Principles and the Bylaws of Free Geek Portland. Keep in mind that we are incorporating under the BC Society's Act, not the Oregon Nonprofit Corporations Act, so it won't be quite the same.)
By-law Draft-o-Rama of FreeGeek Vancouver - for possible adoption at 2007 AGM
Our main homework, according to the BC Society's Act:
- Section 6 (1) The bylaws of a society incorporated under this Act must contain provisions for the following
- (a) the admission of members, their rights and obligations and when they cease to be in good standing;
- (b) the conditions under which membership ceases and the manner, if any, in which a member may be expelled;
- (c) the procedure for calling general meetings;
- (d) the rights of voting at general meetings, whether proxy voting is allowed, and if proxy voting is allowed, provisions for it;
- (e) the appointment and removal of directors and officers and their duties, powers and remuneration, if any;
- (f) the exercise of borrowing powers;
- (g) the preparation and custody of minutes of meetings of the society and directors.
- (2) Subject to subsection (1), the bylaws of a society may be in the form of Schedule B or a modified form or another form altogether.
ifny 21:13, 12 November 2006 (PST)
- Obviously we can have more bylaws than that, and standing resolutions to boot.
- It may be instructive to visit FG Portland's New Bylaws Project, the area of the wiki where they actually collaborated on updating their bylaws. I think standing resolutions is particularly noteworthy. The old bylaws are still available, should anyone be interested.
- ifny 17:58, 12 November 2006 (PST)
Suggested must-haves for the FreeGeek Vancouver bylaws:
- commitment to free software, alternative (sustainable) energy and transportation, and responsible disposal;
- humble 16:43, 15 November 2006 (PST)
- A cheaper way to give all members notice for general meetings. Namely advertising the AGM at various places, the website, and by sending an e-mail address would be better than sending everyone e-mail
- Also defining who a member of FreeGeek Vancouver actually is would also be important. I don't think we can get away with saying that FreeGeek has no members like the Portland bylaws say. We should look into this.
- infil00p 17:43, 9 December 2006 (PST)
http://freegeekvancouver.org feature wishlist & bugs
- drupal auth with mothership wiki
- pathauto module (requires mod-rewrite on apache)
- use of clean URL's (ie. not q=? in URL)
- Printer friendly version of What We Take: http://freegeekvancouver.org/?q=en/node/34
Shouldn't include sidebars, etc. Goal being to make it EASY to print an attractive hard copy of What We Take for posting on walls or distributing to interested organizations, without wasting paper.
- ImageMagick and Ghostscript support on the Free Geek Vancouver web server. This will enable thumbnails of PDFs like the Free Geek posters and pamphlets: http://www.freegeekvancouver.org/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=81
- various TinyMCE troubles
The cat box (for kittens)
If youʻve never edited a wiki before & are afraid of messing up the work of others, come down here & poop wherever, or just see what the formatting looks like behind the curtains. Formatting charts can be found at how to edit a page. Or thereʻs more extensive help too.
Hit edit below to peek or to begin fooling around down here. Or go to le grande sandbox for more intense relief.
Anyway, at the end of the day, donʻt worry too much about that stuff up above. We can always get it back if you really do a boo boo.
You see, you can try different headings
- thatʻs what i want to know!
- you donʻt mean that.
Q: Am i enjoying this because
- it helps me forget deadlines?
- it helps me express my inner monkey?
- it helps me remember dead monkey innards?
- all of the above?
These are the best kind of bullets
- not painful at all!
& hereʻs text to fit in your pocket