Laptop BIOS Passwords
Courtesy of the stellar HP/Compaq laptops crew, here is a step-by-step procedure for overcoming BIOS passwords in certain HP laptops (nc series). All steps must be done in this exact sequence.
- Unplug AC adapter. Take out main battery.
- Remove or unplug CMOS battery.
- Plug in AC adapter (both batteries are still removed). Computer should boot automatically, if not use power button.
- Machine will boot and show "162 - error msg 'systems options not set'" Use F1 to save settings. (In some cases, this message doesn't appear and instead the screen just goes blank.)
- Shut down computer and disconnect AC adapter.
- Reconnect CMOS battery.
- Install battery pack.
- Restart computer. All settings are back to factory standards, so update BIOS settings as necessary.
BIOS password removal for HP Compaq 6910p
We have a lot of 6910p laptops that can't be wiped using the above procedure. To remove the BIOS password on this particular model:
- Unplug AC adapter
- Remove main battery
- Remove keyboard and unplug CMOS battery
- While both batteries are removed, hold down the laptop's power button for a few seconds, then release
- Let the laptop sit for a minute or two
- Reconnect CMOS battery
- Plug in AC adapter
- Restart computer and try to get into BIOS. The password should now be clear and BIOS settings should be set to factory defaults.
- Install main battery pack