Contains information pertaining to troubleshooting networking errors, specifically over the phone.
- Ensure that cables are properly connected. Especially power and RJ-45 (Ethernet) cables.
- Check the lights! Ask the customer to verify the color and condition of lights. Green generally is good, amber meh and red = very bad. Blinking lights are also something to note.
Over The Phone Troubleshooting
Unless the user has a specific complaint generally the sequence is
Physical (cables etc) -> Software (Firefox) -> Hardware Settings (Network Tools)
- Ensure that all cables are properly connected.
- Reboot their modem/router and their computer.
- Check the lights on the Network Card in the computer and on the modem/router.
- Un-check "Work Offline" checked under File -> Work Offline.
- Attempt to connect to a website, i.e. www.google.com.
- Network Tools live in System -> Admin -> Network Tools
- Gather network information from "Devices", select the "Ethernet Interface" if they are running a hardline, or "Wireless Interface" if they're on wi-fi. Record their IPv4 address and Netmask.
- Under "Netstat" select "Routing Table Information" and click on the "Netstat" button. Record the information.
- Go to the "Ping" tab and attempt to ping their IP address and their default gateway. Also attempt to ping outside their network (188.8.131.52 is an easy one to remember).
- For "Traceroute" enter any website "www.google.com" to determine if they can connect to outside websites.