Job Title: PR Intern
Tasks will include some or all of the following:
- Research prospective donors - including individuals, foundations, corporations, etc.
- Enter data and update contact and donor tracking in FGdb as needed.
- Initiate and/or maintain donor-recognition programs, including writing thank-you cards and monitoring the FGdb for significant donations
- Support PR Committee in preparation and preliminary research for various conferences and networking events.
- Participate in social media strategy and contribute to communications with direction from PR Committee.
- Monitor social media presence as well as press-hits online and in media.
- Contribute to social media presence.
- Create and distribute press releases and related online/offline media outreach.
- Other general development support and/or PR-related duties as assigned.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Experience with appropriate netiquette.
- Detail-oriented organizational skills.
- Creative, energetic, and self-motivated.
- Able to learn new skills, programs, and information.
- Basic knowledge of social media tools, including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
- Strong understanding of Free Geek and Open Source philosophy.
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress and maintain a positive attitude in a relatively chaotic setting. The candidate will not be afraid to ask questions, but will be able to work on projects with minimal supervision. The candidate will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
This position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable job skills, make a difference for people and the environment, and make connections in the community. Active volunteers are eligible to receive a 20% discount on items in the Free Geek Thrift Store and to become a member of the First Tech Credit Union. Free Geek also offers free computer classes to volunteers. In addition, interns can choose to receive a free computer after volunteering 24 hours in our internship program.