Reuse Staff Job Description
- JOB TITLE
- Reuse Staff Member
- Bargaining Unit
- Regular (after Probationary)
- Full-Time, Hourly Wage, Non-Exempt
- REPORTS TO
- Reuse Area Coordinator
- LAST UPDATED
- February 29, 2012
A Reuse Staff Member works in many dynamic, workshop-style volunteer areas which both produce refurbished technology and educate volunteers about technology. This position trains in multiple Reuse areas in order to help provide shift coverage, ensure a steady flow of gizmos for Free Geek's programs, and coordinate volunteers. This position participates in Free Geek's Production Committee to help develop programs and procedures. This position is represented by a union, and union membership is mandatory upon hire.
- Leads workshop-style classes
- Troubleshoots and helps maintain the Reuse technical infrastructure.
- Stocks Reuse areas with needed hardware and components.
- Manages flow of incoming and outgoing devices and gizmos.
- Recruits volunteers from the Build Program to move on to Post-Build areas.
- Keeps volunteers on track and working within established systems and procedures.
- Prepares Reuse areas prior to volunteer shifts.
- Orients volunteers to production areas and procedures.
- Works floor shifts coordinating volunteers.
- Ensures that gizmo quality control protocols are being met.
- Is an active member of the Production Committee.
- Works under the guidance of a Reuse Area Coordinator.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Experience coordinating volunteers.
- Availability during Free Geek hours of operations, including morning and occasional evening meetings as required.
- Command of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheet, data entry).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to lift 25 lbs. repeatedly, and 40 lbs. on occasion.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Detail-oriented, but able to see (and understand) the big picture.
- Dedication to Free Geek's mission and Open Source philosophies.
- Must be patient and courteous with the public.
- Ability to work with and coordinate volunteers with a wide range of skills and experience.
- Ability to remain professional and positive under stress in an informal, friendly environment with a diverse staff.
- Must not be afraid to ask questions, but must be able to work on projects almost entirely without supervision.
- Ability to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of computer hardware, or demonstrated technical aptitude.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language other than English.
- Experience using Ubuntu or other Free/Open Source software.
- Experience working in a collective structure or consensus-based decision-making environment.