The Smashtacular is an open to the public event where people can come and pay us to smash printers.
Sucessful ways of making Smashtacular more fun:
- heavy metal (a good DJ of various music to destroy technology to)
- variety of implements of destruction (sledge, 9-iron, frying pan, 'analog')
- friends to help you goad, encourage and cheer participants
- safety equipment
- How does it further FREE GEEK's mission?
- It makes printers smaller and recycling them easier
- Raises public awareness of recycling
- Will it go with our culture, or meet resistance?
- The printers in question were already destined for recycling, so there's no question of waste.
- We like to think Free Geek's culture is fun-friendly.
- How would we go about measuring the impact?
- Simple math. This equipment currently brings us $0.
- Who would be involved?
- Because of the possibility of injury, we only want this to be overseen by staff. The Smashtaculars would be held regularly, perhaps monthly or fortnightly.
- Oversight, materials collection, cleanup: Jhasen and other staff
- Promotion: Jhasen and volunteers
- Goading: RevPhil
- What kind of budget would it require?
- ads or copies for outreach
- possibly: film for polaroid camera*
- What would our first steps be? How soon should we start them?
- First step: outreach
- Also: saving printers.
- We should start in about two weeks.
- How soon can it be completely in place and functioning?
- As soon as the first smashtacular can happen - 2 weeks?
- How and when would we measure if it's helping?
- It should be immediately clear!
- Was the preliminary impact/effort rating accurate?
- YEAH OK
We should start outreach and preparation for a Smashtacular ASAP and use our experience from that one to plan for the next.
If there's a polaroid camera available, we'd like to set aside any money from the first few events to purchase polaroid film as an additional income source.