Tech Support Policy
Free Geek Tech Support Open Hours: TUESDAY thru SATURDAY 12:00 - 5:45 Phone Number: (503) 232-9350 (option 6) E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- We provide free technical support on systems during the stipulated warranty period, provided that the original operating system (Xubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 10.04*) is still installed; and no major changes to the hardware have been made, Store bought systems are warrantied for 6 months (this does not apply to servers, non-Intel Macs, XBMC and Gaming Rigs - all of which are not covered by Tech Support).
- After the original warranty period has elapsed, items will be supported on a pay-as-you-go basis for $10 an issue for 1 year - replacement hardware costs are extra. We can only help solve your tech support issues if the original operating system that came with your machine is still installed. Any systems which fall outside of the times listed above beyond this will be dealt with only at our discretion.
- We reserve the right to refuse to work on a system.
- Software support extends only to the original software installed on the machine during the supported lifetime as determined by the upstream distribution (Ubuntu). Once this has reached its end of life, an upgrade will be necessary to continue receiving support. We can not guarantee the correct operation of this on machines outside the warranty period.
- We can not extend support to software you have installed outside of the official channels i.e. the Ubuntu Software Center. We will make our best efforts for software installed via the software center but can not provide instruction on its use.
- Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer officially supported. As a result, we will not provide tech support on computers running this version. Until further notice we will provide a free in-shop upgrade to the latest Free Geek issued, long term support release (Xubuntu 12.04)
- Free Geek reserves the right to deny support to customers who abuse the tech support privileges
- Free Geek tech support is available from Noon to 5.45 PM, Tuesday through Saturday.
- To receive tech support, be sure your computer is covered by our policy above, and do one of the following:
- Call the number listed above. If your call is not answered (you've called outside of Tech Support hours, or the technicians are busy helping other customers) please leave a message with your name, phone number, and a short description of your problem.
- Send an email to email@example.com Be sure to include contact information and a short description of the problems you’re experiencing.
- Stop in! We’d be happy to help you in person during Tech Support's open hours. You can also drop off your system at the Front Desk during Free Geek's open hours (Tuesday through Saturday, 10-6), provided that it is covered by our Tech Support policy.
- We can not provide tech support outside of Free Geek except by phone or email.
Tech Support Dropoffs
By bringing an item to us you are agreeing to the policies laid out below.
- We take no responsibility for any item left outside our scheduled hours, or when the door is closed.
- We do not guarantee that we will be able to fix your computer.
- We do not replace machines out of warranty, or "on demand" in warranty.
- We take the following items only:
- Computer/Desktop Towers
- Laptops + Power supplies (if needed for troubleshooting)
- Components purchased in the Free Geek thrift store that you want us to install.
- We will not take responsibility for anything else that we have not explicitly requested from you. This includes, but is not limited to: laptop bags, power cords, monitors, printers, keyboards, mice, CD's and DVD's and USB devices we are not installing. YOU LEAVE THESE ITEMS AT YOU OWN RISK AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISPOSE OF THESE ITEMS AT ANY TIME UNLESS WE HAVE ASKED YOU TO LEAVE THEM.
- Free Geek reserves the right to deny support to customers who abuse the tech support privileges. Whenever possible, customers will be warned that further abuse will result in denial of support.
- These policies do not constitute any form of guarantee or indemnity. All items are left at your own risk.
- We reserve the right to refuse to work on a system, change the pricing structure, and/or change these policies at any time.
Tech Support Collection
Hours for collection are: Tuesday through Saturday, in between the hours of 12:00 - 5:45
We require the yellow ticket that was issued to you when you dropped off your items, or a valid photo id, in order to collect items that were registered in our repair system.
Please make sure to collect all your personal items before leaving Free Geek.
Items Repaired Under Original Warranty
Unless special considerations apply, and have been agreed upon, in advance, work undertaken will be covered through the end of the original warranty period, as stipulated in the original purchase contract.
Items Repaired Outside of Original Warranty
Work undertaken on machines whose warranty has elapsed, will be warrantied for a period not to exceed three (3) calendar months from the time that Free Geek has spoken with the owner of the machine.