Volunteer Appreciation BBQ 2009
Date: Saturday, July 25th, 2009 Time: 4 to 8 PM Free Geek open 11 AM - 3 PM BBQ starts at 4 PM - 8 PM
Your Planning Team
- Event Leaders: MK, Liane, Michael, Evan
- Liane & Michael - Grocery shopping
- Laurel 1.0 - face painting
- Blaine - Chess Challenge
- Sean Morgan - stage crew electrical - NO LIFTING!
- Luiz & Tony - Secret Service (building security)
- MK & Luiz - MC's
- Ali/Renee/Richard - Raffle & Brownie Contest
- Michael - keg acquisition
- Dirk - prepped amazing A/V prizes
- Liane & Michael - day of ice run
- Sergio - tent set-up
- Block parking lot - Liane
- Liane & volunteer crew - sofas/tables/chairs set-up outside
- MK - script, Schedule of Events
- MK - logistics: bands/toilets/activities/staff sign-up sheet
- MK - acquire raffle & brownie contest supplies & awards
- Meera - make brownie crown & sashes
- Kathie/Leslie/Wizzard/Leo - Food prep
- Ezra - on call tour guide (not utilized)
- Evan/Tim/Santiago/Steven/Michael/Luiz/others - bartenders
- Darryl/Tim/Luiz/others - BBQers
- Caitlin/Evan/Tim/others - Line servers
- Laurel 2.0/George - Closers
- MK - Thank you cards
- Liane/MK - band rewards
- Sophia/Ezra/Santiago/Leo & others - general helpfulness throughout event
- 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM Bad Apple sets up
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Bad Apple plays
- 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM MC Announcements
- Thank ALL Volunteers - MC 5 min.
- Select Brownie Judges & lead tasting - Ali 5 min.
- Announce T-shirt winner - Luiz 5 min.
- Draw Raffle winners & Award Prizes - 15 min.
- Announce Brownie Winners & Award Prizes - 5 min.
- T-shirt toss (too many people for manageable Trivia contest)
- 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM Bad Apple Tears down, Pagan Jug Band Sets up
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Pagan Jug Band plays
- 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM Shut down & clean-up
- Bose Tabletop Wave Radio
- Sony Boombox
- Sony Digital 8 Camcorder Kit
- Handmade quilt by Ethel Deatherage
- Ultra Awesome Computer
- dual core, 500 GB HD, 4 GB DDR RAM, 2 video cards, flat screen monitor, rhinestone mouse, etc.
- Compost from Concentrates
- burgers - veggie & meat
- hot dogs - veggie & meat
- burger buns
- hot dog buns
- non-alcoholic beverages
- corn chips
- baked beans
- homemade potato salad
- homemade brownies
- utensils: forks, plates, napkins, cups, knives, spoons
- post Schedule of Events day before so Volunteers know what to expect
- begin cooking at 1:30 or 2 PM (ended up being late, 3:30 PM)
- have snacks on all tables to appease the masses
- food & BBQ run behind table
- ready food put on table in stages for all to get a chance at some
- staff/volunteers manning table & food prep area & bar (aka keg) at all times
- Face painting: Laurel 1.0
- Chess challenge: Blaine
- Trivia T-shirt toss
- Raffle with kick-ass A/V prizes from Dirk
- Brownie contest & prizes
- select judges & bring them onstage with MC
- Bands: Bad Apple & Pagan Jug Band
- Video game with 2 controllers set up
- Back-up plan: all ages movie projected onto wall if bands end early or other unforeseen issue!
Expenses for BBQ
Food & Beverage
- food by LK: $330.08 (including some drinks)
- more food and ice by LK: $38.16
- utensils by LK: $45 (we now have enough to last us 4 BBQ like events, actually paid $180)
- home brew & ginger ale by EP: $69.73
- food & ice by MW: $68.18
- food & ice by MW: $2.92
- food by MK: $7.47
- total food/beverage expenses: $561.54
- Amerisanican - 2 portable toilets = waiting for receipt
- Gave away 7 freekboxes to band members (1 to Bad Apples, 5 or 6 to Pagan Jug Band)
- Gave away four $50 gift certificates to rest of band members
- Gave away 6 t-shirts
- Lots of A/V items from F.G.
- FG mondo system from Build
- Staff time, effort & sanity ;)
Post BBQ Notes
- approx. 200 attendees + 2 dogs
- 120 meat burgers
- 60+ dogs and veggie patties
- From Evan: 57 bottles home brew - 12 oz./24 bottles ginger ale (1/5th)
- From Morgan: 1 barrel Ninkasi (15.5 gallons) - approx. 1 gallon or less left
- soda (6+ cases & 6+ six-packs) - went quickly, was out hours before beer
- went through 4 full round coolers of ice water
- Owen Walz's amazing BBQ poster!
- "Keep It Legal" Brownie Contest - confused about when okay to eat 'em
- video game helped with wait in line
- raffle was fun and successful
- raffle prizes were fabulous and appreciated
- lots of people brought side dishes so there was plenty of food!
- folks brought vegan/veggie and other types of sides, so all were fed!
- serving meat/veggie burgers/dogs to people allowed everyone to get food!
- speed of line was based on meat/dogs/patties ready - was a good speed
- easy shut down - lots of staff stayed to help!
- Blaine's chess challenge
- approx. 100 games played - most popular activity - no wins or draws!
- T-shirt toss - got folks jumping/shouting/waving their arms - fun!
- too many folks to use trivia questions to disperse t-shirts
- $20 gift certificates for t-shirt design winner & brownie winner were well received
- raffle prizes were well received
- Secret service worked well
For Next Year
- purchase 10 big onions - ran out early
- start grills in am and precook some food
- make sure all tent sets are together week before the event
- check/clean grills week before the event
- condiments take to long for people to use, put them at the end of the tables
- label dishes as: vegan/wheat free/veggie/gluten free, etc.
- separate veggie food line and meat food line, 2 grills?
- set up/start grills earlier
- set up stage/tents for band 1st & early in day
- have Serge teach others how to set up tents so he doesn't get stuck with this forever
- starting late was what made the line long at the start of food serving,fine once moving
- better/more obvious compost bins
- better/more obvious labels on compost, garbage, recycling
- music a little quieter
- more helpers for food prep with food experienced supervisor
- hard to get people to set up chairs/tables once outside
- do NOT schedule BBQ staff at the last minute on floor shifts
- not enough leader bodies to be everywhere needed
- could use 2 more leaders to help direct bands/help/heavy lifters day of
- do not spend more $$ on pop next year, instead, get lemonade or other beverage mixer into round coolers
History and other resources
- Notes from our 2008 BBQ .