Volunteer Appreciation BBQ 2010
Saturday, July 24th 4-7 PM
- Veggie hotdogs (3) $8.97
- Gluten Free
- Hot Dog Buns (6) $6
- Hamburger Buns (4) $6
- pickles (1)$5
PEOPLE'S FOOD CO-OP
- Tofurky - faux meat beer brats (10 pks) $40
- Tomatoes - (7 lbs) $21
- Nayonaise (soy based) (2 x 24 oz) $11
- Red Leaf (4 bnch) $6
- Green Leaf (2 bnch) $3
- Onions (7 lbs) $14
- potatoes (20lb) $28
- apples (2lb) $4.50
- Tortilla Chips (4 pks) $9
- Salsa (2 jugs) $8
- Potato Chips (4 pks) $12
CASH & CARRY
- Soda (3 x 24 cans) $18
- Lemon Syrup (1 jug) $5
- Charcoal (huge bag) $14
- Ketchup (2 x 64 oz) $6.50
- Relish (3 sm jars) $5
- Mustard (Big pump jar) $5
- Hot Dog Buns (4 lg bags) $12
- Hamburger Buns (4 lg bags) $14
- Polish Dogs (2 x 10 lb boxes) $49
- Hot Dogs (2 x 10 lb boxes) $25
- Garden Burgers (big boxes) $51
- Hamburgers (2 big boxes) $41
TOTAL = $427.97
- Meredith sent out an e-mail asking staff members if they'd be willing to bring some homemade stuff
- Liane will make her bangin' vegan potato salad
Keep it Legal Brownie Contest 2.0
- Meredith made signs & will post them
- We need judges
- Last year we chose some well-known volunteers to be judges, including Nate. I recommend getting a Board member, staff member, and (star?) volunteer Ali 20:47, 15 July 2010 (UTC)
- Anyone who likes brownies?
- Ended up using 4 volunteers & 1 tie-breaker.
- We need to designate a prize for this
- T-shirt? nope
- Keg tap (reliable!!!)
- We may have one. Morgan may bring one. Worst case is to rent it from Maletis for $5 +$60 dep.
- Servers Between Jeff R. Leah, RfS and Luiz should have enough legal servers to cover.
- Beer (Ninkasi?)
Tony will call MMillerHe said we should just go through Maletis
- 7000 North Cutter Circle
Portland, OR 97217-3953 (503) 735-2300
- We would just pick it up day of. No need to pre order. Keg should be about $140 + $30 deposit.
- Also need receptacle for keg and ice
- Other (wine?) Could get case of $3 chuck at Trader Joes if desired
- Maybe a case of swilly cheap beer for those who prefer that? PBR?
- P/U and delivery needed.
Advice from previous years: use a Sharpie and write on the table (underneath side, of course) where the table came from, e.g "Meeting Room", "Laptops Recycling Table". Ali 20:53, 15 July 2010 (UTC)
- We need ~8 tables (We have 2 that Meredith could find)
- use meeting room tables,
- We need ~50 chairs (We have ~30 that Meredith could find)
- add some couches, meeting room chairs
- We need grillz (Liane will check into this)
- Big grill(meat) near warehouse: confirmed
- small round webber grill: will be at FG before party
- small barrel grill : matteo has one, Sergio will ask if we can borrow
- Last year Liane bought a ton of compost-able paper plates, she will try to find them or buy more
- got them, Kathie checked ,they're in the closet
- We will need to set up trash/recycling/compost bins & make everyone aware that they can compost paper plates & plastic utensils
- Porta Potties
- ordered 2 PP from Americansan, they'll get delivered around 2 pm on Saturday, should sit next to steel bin, doors facing away from party
- Billy K & friends will be playing for us
- Sean Morgan will be setting up - Liane is working with him
- Super system made by Build volunteers (Caitlin will talk to Alan)
- AV prizes? (Meredith will ask Dirk about this)
- T-shirts (Laurel has ordered them)
- T-shirts will probably not be ready by the 24th, certificates instead?
- Cellar Door coffee/gift certificates (Liane will ask Luiz to do this)
- Nosh gift certificates? (Meredith will ask them)
- Classic Game stuff (Tony has a Classic NES +games package)
- $20 Starbucks gift card
- Could do a lappie, too
- Citybikes will have a basket of goods ready for p/u soon
- WAiting on reply from Next Adventure
- Tony has 300 tickets made up
- Need a scheme for distributing tickets (how to dole them out?)
- part of the buffet, volunteer hands out tickets to each eating person
- Propose having all prizes on a table and first person drawn gets first pick, second pick, etc. Allows for preferences.
Blaine Chess Challenge
- Tony has 5 chess boards lined up. Should be good.
- We should make sure he's in the shade
- We bought 100 meat burgers & hot dogs
- Box of Gardenburgers (~$50)
What went well/Positives
- We started setting up & getting ready right at 11, which made things less frantic later on.
- Overall we kept it simple (live music fell through) but volunteers seemed to really enjoy themselves nonetheless
- Having a sign-up sheet for volunteers to help with set up the week of the BBQ ensured there were folks to help out
- Raffle went well! We gave one ticket to each volunteer and one extra to each volunteer who participated in the brownie contest. Raffle prizes were awesome & well-received:
- "Raffle box" - super-awesome high-end system made by Build instructors
- Mini-DVD player (from Dirk)
- Original NES with games
- CityBikes package with bike-related goodies
- People *loved* Blaine's chess challenge & no one beat him
- Shaun Morgan was awesome with helping to set up the sound equipment so we could have music & mic action.
- Watermelon was an excellent choice on this toasty day.
For next year
- Create a checklist to make planning this easy!
- Announce during the BBQ that you must be present to win the raffle
- Schedule staff tasks way ahead of time to even it out
- Post schedule of events ahead of time
- Designate brownie contest judges ahead of time
- Sandbags to secure the tents! Volunteers got creative & hung recycled system from the top bar with a cord.
- Get a more universal prize for the brownie contest - we gave away coffee & the winner didn't drink coffee
- Notify and invite our neighbors (Market Street Studio tenants & Mcguire)
- Make sure to invite the board well in advance
- Make sure to cancel the middle shift of Hardware ID - it cut into BBQ time
- Put jug of water in the fridge beforehand
- Make sure lemonade is not too strong!