Here are some statistics and demographics for three existing Free Geek Operations. The Free Geek Community Technology Center (founding organization, located in Portland, Oregon ), Free Geek Penn (located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania) and Free Geek Michiana (located in South Bend, Indiana).
- Free Geek Community Technology Center is the founding location started in the spring of 2000. Located in a midsize urban area with good access to resources.
- Free Geek Michiana is located in a semi-urban sprawl with moderate access to resources, they are having success due to good partnerships with other organizations in their area. A principle partner that provides space for a computer lab, workspace and meetings is the Salvation Army.
Free Geek (in Portland)
Free Geek Community Technology Center Portland, Oregon
- Founded April 13, 2000.
- Open to the public September 1, 2000.
- Grand Opening November 18, 2000.
- Starter Facility: 5,000 SF - Office/Workshop
- Current Facility: 15,000 SF - Office/Workshop/Warehouse
- Monthly Rent: $5,500
- Monthly Utilities/Maintainence: $1,250
- Staff: 15 Staff Collective, 3 Interns
- Monthly Payroll and Benefits: $24,000
- Volunteers: 3,000
- Computer Donations: 1,500/month
- E-Scrap Recovery: 15 tons/month
Available E-Scrap Recycling Resources:
- Calbag Metals Co. , Portland, OR (5 miles from FG).
- Earth Protection Services , Tigard, OR (12 miles from Free Geek)
- Electronics Recycling, Portland, OR (1 mile from FG).
- Hallmark Refining Corporation , Mount Vernon, WA (233 miles from FG).
- Metro Metals NW , Portland, OR (5 miles from FG).
- Quantum Resource Recovery , Beaverton, OR (11 miles from Free Geek).
- Total Reclaim , Seattle, WA (169 miles from FG).
- Mac Renewal , Eugene, OR (112 miles from FG).
South Bend, Indiana , Michiana .
- Founded: 2002
- Open to the public: ???
- Facility: 3 locations totaling 1,000 SF
- Monthly Rent: $0
- Monthly Utilities/Maintainence: $???
- Staff: 0 Staff
- Monthly Payroll and Benefits: $???
- Volunteers: ???
- Computer Donations: ???/month
- E-Scrap Recovery: ? tons/month
- LaPorte County and St. Joseph County Solid Waste Management District recycling centers.
- Salvation Army