Debian Bug Reporting
The Debian Bug Reporting class should give a basic understanding of how to report bugs on debian systems.
tips for working environment
- keep a web browser pointed to this page
- open several terminal windows
- don't forget to use the "man" command, or -h and --help
- commandline reminders
- remember to use tab completion.
- hit tab twice, fast.
- hit tab again!
- remember to use the up arrow to re-do a previous command
- keep hitting tab!
reportbug is a helper utility to faciliate good bug reporting. it will help you browse the currently reported bugs, and facilitate providing additional information, or report new bugs.
apt-get install reportbug
- when you know what package is broken:
- when you know what program, but not what package:
reportbug -f FILENAME
- without a working mail system (use FILE as a template for your email):
reportbug -o FILE
- if it stalls indefinitely: