This policy is out of date and superseded by language in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This is a very old policy that was later modified. The Staff Collective approved the current version of this policy on Dec 30, 2005. The Staff Collective amended this policy to exclude May Day and include Christmas Eve on Mar 4, 2011. This policy was modified as a result of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and May day and Christmas Eve were restored.
Official Free Geek holiday closures correspond to these holidays:
- New Year's Day (January 1)
- May Day (May 1 if and only if it falls on a day Free Geek is normally open)
- Memorial Day Weekend
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day Weekend
- Thanksgiving Day Weekend
- Christmas Eve (December 24)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
- Monday Holidays
- On the Monday holidays, Free Geek is closed from the Saturday before the holiday, through the Monday. This includes Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and Labor Day (1st Monday in September). Remember it is the Saturday before these that Free Geek is closed. Free Geek would be closed on the Monday anyway. This gives Free Geek workers the same holiday schedules as their friends and families.
- Thanksgiving Day Weekend is the 4th Thursday in November and the Friday and Saturday after. (As usual, Free Geek is closed on Sunday and Monday, making a five day weekend over Thanksgiving.)
- Other Holidays (falling on arbitrary days of the week)
- If the holiday falls on a Sunday or a Monday, Free Geek is closed on the preceding Saturday. If the holiday falls on a Friday, Free Geek is also closed on the next day (Saturday). If a holiday falls on a Wednesday, Free Geek is also closed the previous day (Tuesday).