This falls under the purview of the Board Recruitment/Development committee, created in October 2009.
Materials for potential new board members
Getting started, based on some thoughts from a brainstorm about materials and procedures that might help welcome and acclimatize new board members.
Connecting with people
- A tour with current board or staff
- Meeting with board or staff members
- Visit council meeting (if for a regular election, should be July or August)
- Visit staff meeting?
- Structure, including maybe some narrative on structure evolution.
- History and landmark decisions
- Organizational stats. Budget; current funding mix; volunteer numbers (active, retention, rate of change); staff numbers (which kinds, compensation); recycling, reuse, and grants numbers. Some of this of course already exists, and will need maintenance.
- Commitment entailed (see New Director Agreement).
- Profiles of current board members
- Current goals and priorities of the board
Materials for newly selected board members
- Conflict of interest form
- FG DVD
- New Director Agreement
- Contact info for other board members
- Free Geek email address
- Signup for directors and council email lists
- Board orientation manual
- revise the Board Election Checklist & report to council
- find existing materials for mission, structure, history parts; write missing/connective material
- find existing materials for statistical parts, figure out best place for them to live