Council 2009 11
When: 18 Nov, 2009
Place: Free Geek, PDX
Minutes Checker: Jon
Attendance: Vagrant, Dave, Laurel2, Debra, Laurel1, Richard, Jon, Caitlin, Cliff
Last meeting: October (link?)
- Seamus - email with possible evaluation criteria for how well online sales is doing - FAIL (no need to track here anymore)
- Sergio - email Council when/if commissioned sales start – CARRYOVER INFINITY (no need to track here anymore)
- Reports from other working groups.
- State of the Onion
- Gizmo tracking and inventorying is coming out of staff
- Finances reported on. Lots of numbers.
- Sub-board Recruitment: Ali and Laurel1 will be meeting. Contact them to join.
- Sub-board Relations: Shannon and JP have talked about volunteers. We have an appointment in December for something.
- Sub-board Intergalactic: Trademarks and excitement. We are explode!
- Sub-board Audit: Bean-counters and Sayer will be meeting.
- Space Cadets: improving laptop space, moving into new upstairs space.
- Bulletins are great.
We started looking at General Priorities and updating it to reflect what we're already doing. We also came up with a number of pages that need attention paid to them before we will know how much we want to do them.
- Computers for Kids (PPS)
- System Administration (PPS)
- Volunteer Pickups (PPS) (no PPS)
- Advanced Linux (PPS)
- Events (PPS) (no PPS)
- External Sales (PPS) (is this Online Sales?)
Volunteers & Council: (OLD)
(1) Achieving quality Council participation, particularly the issue of non-active-volunteers participating in Council. Free Geek wants a hard & fast rule to address lack of volunteer status as barrier to participation in Council. (2) Whether Council wants to encourage volunteer involvement, and if so, who and how.
- Laurel1: can we have a human point of contact for potential new members to talk to? also as a gate-keeper.
- Laurel2: bulletin board isn't enough?
- Debra: should a potential council member already know enough to figure out who to ask?
- Laurel1: suggesting people ask will lead to more new members asking.
- ...phone call or email, if the go-to person isn't on staff.
- Caitlin: shouldn't any member of council/staff be able to provide this role? but significant confusion exists that i don't believe this is true.
- Richard: council may be in a state of transition regarding its role within freegeek, so a cheatsheet of how to answer questions may be hard
- Debra: face-to-face contact is more meaningful
- PROPOSAL: Laurel1 will be a point-of-contact for people with questions about council until the February meeting.
- New commitments, and Carry-Overs copied from above.
- Dave - tell council when staff want to start doing commissioned sales (no need to track this here, though)
- Vagrant - tell Shannon to email us (or minutes?) with report on Relations work she has done.
- Laurel1 - will sync up General Priorities with the (X)es we added.
- Richard - will set up a point-of-contact email alias
- Laurel1 - will email core (and regulars) to see if anyone has any questions about council
- Facilitator: Martin
- Scribe: Laurel1
- Minutes Checker: Debra
- Reporters to other meetings?
- Date and time: 16 December, 2009
- Place: Here
- List of unfinished business for the next meeting:
- Council's Purpose
- Council Recruitment